Disrepair Claims by Tenants - Housing Disrepair Claim

    Get A Free Claim Assessment

    Please check your details before you submit this form. By submitting your details you confirm your agreement to our privacy policy

    Who Can Make a Housing Disrepair Claim?

    Landlords are under obligation by law to ensure that your home is safe and in good condition. This means that the landlord is required to keep the structure and exterior of the house in good repair and ensure the proper functioning of installations for the supply of water, sanitation, electricity, gas, and space heating. If you are a tenant and your landlord fails in this regard, you may be able to make a housing disrepair claim.

    What Do I Need to Do to Make a Housing Disrepair Claim?

    • If there are housing disrepair issues in your home, you must notify your landlord of this.
    • Where possible, you should notify your landlord in writing so you can have a written record of the notice provided.
    • You should keep notes of what the issues at your home are when they started, and when you brought them to the attention of your landlord.
    • If your landlord fails to promptly resolve these issues, you may contact your local authority (if they do not double as your landlord). The council can serve notices to your landlord regarding the issues with your home.
    • You should allow your landlord access to your home to inspect and carry out repairs. If you fail to do this, the landlord could use it as a defence in housing disrepair claims.



    Can I Make a Claim if I Live in Council Housing?

    Yes. It is the responsibility of your local council or local authority to ensure that your property is safe and in good living condition. So, whether you live in a flat or a house, or your rent came through a private landlord or social housing, your landlord has a duty of care towards you and your rented property and can be held accountable for housing disrepair claims.

    Can I Make a Claim for Damp/Mould in My House?

    If the damp or mould is a result of disrepair problems and has caused you to suffer any inconvenience, then you could be entitled to make a claim. If the damp in your rented property was due to bad ventilation caused by broken windows, faulty heating, or broken extractor fans and your landlord has failed to fix those issues after reporting them, you could have valid grounds to claim housing disrepair compensation from your landlord. However, your claim be more complex if the damp was caused by something you did such as failing to use extractor fans.

    What Can I Claim For?

    If you have been a victim of housing disrepair problems in your rented property, you can make compensation claims if:

    • there has been damage to your belongings
    • the damage has caused you harm
    • the damage has caused illness to you or someone in your house
    • the damage has caused you inconvenience

    You can also make a housing disrepair compensation claim if you have been unable to use your house in the way you should due to the disrepair issues. Our housing disrepair solicitors will help you take advantage of your tenancy rights to seek compensation for any losses incurred and ensure your landlord is accountable for his actions.

    How Much Can I Claim for Housing Disrepair Problems?

    It is impossible to provide an exact compensation amount you can expect, as every claim is unique. The amount you can expect will largely depend on the severity of the disrepair issue, the number of rooms affected by the problem, the level of damage to your belongings, and the impact of the disrepair on your health.

    No Win No Fee Housing Disrepair Solicitors

    When you contact us, our best housing disrepair solicitors will assess your case and let you know if you have valid grounds for making a disrepair claim. If we believe you do, we will handle your case on a No Win No Fee basis, also known as a Conditional Fee Agreement. Under this arrangement, you will be financially protected because you wouldn’t have to pay us any legal fees if we do not win your case.

    Get in Touch With Us

    With a strong track record and experience in helping several tenants make housing disrepair claims against their landlords, we are your best bet. Our solicitors will walk you through every step of the way and do everything to ensure the repair issues in your home are fixed to the standard you deserve and help you fight for compensation.



      Fill out the form and we'll be touch as soon as possible

      For FREE housing advice, call

      0800 999 7440


      Office Address :

      Unit 2, Connect Business Village, 24 Derby Road, Liverpool, L5 9PR