disrepair claims Archives |
Posted on: Thu Mar 18 | 7:29 AM by: housing

What Housing Repair My Landlord Is Responsible For?

Your Landlord is responsible for most of your home repair needs. Whether it is included in your tenancy agreement or not, your landlord is usually liable for fixing most damages. Tenants also have responsibilities if any damage is caused by them or their family members. For rented apartments, housing repairs include both the interior and exterior structures whether minor or major damages.


These responsibilities may include:

  • The outdoor repairs including the foundation of the house.
  • Drainage, and external pipes.
  • Windows, doors, vents, chimneys, unsafe stirs, entrance, roofs, lifts.
  • General rewiring and electrical installations.

start a claim

On the other hand, indoor repairs range from:

  • Internal plumbing.
  • Heating system. Too hot or too cold environment.
  • Normal wear and tear.
  • Appliances like boilers, refrigerators, Air conditioning units, etc.
  • Baths, Sinks, and walls.
  • Gas appliances etc.
  • Indoor and outdoor decorations.
  • Electrical faults.

After repairs, he is also responsible for any other renovations if needed. Any repairs that your landlord is responsible for cannot be passed to you. The landlord should be informed about any problems so they can make repairs on time. All repairs must be reported to him accordingly so that the extent of the damage can be contained. Responsibilities apply to all private landlords and housing associations. These repairs have a tenable timeline for completion and they must do what the tenancy agreement says.

Extralegal Responsibilities also include:

  • Waste disposal.
  • Water supply.
  • General upkeep.
  • Other shared facilities covering houses in multiple occupations (HMOs).
  • Any other necessary Adjustments.
  • Floods and leaks.
  • Addressing private nuisance.

This occurs when anything in other parts of the building with common boundaries owned by the landlord interferes with using your home or enjoying it. For instance leakages or damages that may affect your roof or flat causing damages to your close living space.

What is Housing disrepair?

  • Housing disrepair is when a rented apartment in a state of bad structural condition that may cause physical, mental, or health damages that needs repair.
  • If your landlord is aware of the problem but won’t repair them, this can certainly lead to housing disrepair. Housing disrepair may also occur when a landlord refuses to fix the damage that wasn’t caused by you, especially if it is entirely his responsibility.
  • Tenants can make a claim for compensation for any inconveniences caused as a result of the damages. The landlord can’t ignore his responsibilities as set out by the law.
  • Each repair agreement is backed by law therefore a tenant has the right to claim any reimbursement for discomfort. According to the defective premises Act of 1972, the duties of the landlord are to maintain the standard level of care and to avoid defects or injury in your home. He also has a right to access your apartment for work repairs. The right is owned by you and your family members especially if the landlord was already aware of the damages without reporting the problem to him.

Repairs Tenants Are Liable For

As a tenant, you are also responsible for maintaining the home. This is important because the apartment should be in good condition for others to inhabit when you leave. Sometimes your landlord can fix damages you cause but charge you for it by deducting from your rent. Other times you may be required to pay the fees immediately.

So be careful to look after your home by:

Checking your electrical appliances often.

  • Fixing furniture damaged by you or your family members.
  • Repairing blockages in drains and toilets.
  • Keeping your external environment clean for example, gardening.
  • Checking other safety routines like blowing out burning candles before you leave the house.
  • Avoiding any negligence and carelessness.
  • General Maintenance.
  • Avoiding any nuisance caused by crowding the apartment.
  • Providing access to contractors to get work done to avoid further serious damage.

When A Home Is Fit For Human Habitation

Damages can occur before, during, and after the start of your tenancy in an apartment. The landlord is susceptible to make sure the house is fit for people to live in. If the environment is unfit, your home isn’t safe to occupy and it is the responsibility of the landlord to make it suitable for you before moving in. Repairs should make living conditions conducive for residents.

An apartment is fit for people to live in when:

  • There is a good and safe water supply.
  • There are no problems with pests like bugs, cockroaches, rats, etc.
  • There are smoke dictators, alarms, and gas safety in the building.
  • There are adequate electrical installations.
  • There is no mold or dampness on the walls or ceilings of the property.

What To Do When You Notice a Damage In Your Rented Apartment

  • Reporting repairs is one of the terms and conditions in your tenancy agreement.

You need to have records of the extent of damage in the apartment to be able to take further action. You must contact the homeowner to ensure that he is aware of the situation. Include the level of repair you want and the expected time frame for it to be done. You may also remind them about their obligation to fix damages. Proofs must be provided to prompt a quick response from the landlords.

  • Take screenshots or pictures of minor or major repairs.
  • Send a note, letter, or message to your Landlord.
  • A report from a doctor showing any health hazard.

What Happens When Your Landlord Won’t Do Repairs?

What do you do when your landlord refuses to fix damages in your rented property? It is uncomfortable to live in an apartment with leakages and damages that pose a threat to your living conditions.

How To File A Disrepair Claim

When it comes to the state of your rental accommodation, you can make a case against your landlord. Tenants are protected by law even if they want to reclaim damages If you have had any bad housing experience in your rented apartment that may lead to any dangers but were not addressed by the landlord you can make a claim for it. You are entitled to certain privileges set out in your .tenancy agreement and backed up by law. Disrepair such as molds can be hazardous to your health and must therefore be considered an emergency. This type of harmful damage can be neglected by the landlord due to carelessness.

To know how to file a disrepair claim:

  • Your duty is to first report your concern to the landlord.
  • Know the extent of the damages caused.

There must be a piece of evidence showing a dangerous or harmful problem in the apartment. Make sure you keep a record of your medical bills, and other valid documents to support your claim. Store emails and other files that can 

  • Notify the landlord again.

As the claimant, if you notify the landlord and he still doesn’t fix the damage you must take further actions.

  • Contact your local authority: They can take action against any nuisance caused by the homeowner.
  • Contact a solicitor for advice: An experienced lawyer can help you with a written agreement that confirms your claims and swing into legal action. If you do the repair work yourself, you are still eligible to claim the funds spent on those repairs.

How To Claim Compensation From Your Landlord

You can take action against the landlord based on the severity of the damage. One way to do that is to check if there was carelessness on the part of the landlord. A solicitor will assist you in gathering proof if there was any neglect by the landlord. You may decide to wait until your tenancy ends before you claim compensation. You have up to 3 years from the day the repairs should have been done to claim personal harm. Compensations may include:

  • Compensation for your personal properties destroyed during repairs or as a result of leakages.
  • Replacing items that were destroyed.
  • Deduction or refund of rent.
  • Payment for a harm to your well-being.

Negligence and Nuisance Claims

Negligence can lead to personal injuries or defects. The court has every right to order your landlord to commence repair work during your tenancy. Regardless of your claims please note that you do not have the right to hold on to your rent because your landlord didn’t repair the damages. Your landlord can take major steps to force you out of the accommodation if you do.

  • No-Win-No-Fee Housing Disrepair.

No Win No Fee means any statutory services provided by a law firm to a claimant without paying legal fees until you win the case. In other words, you can make housing disrepair legal claims without paying anything upfront.

The implication is that you do not pay a fee if you do not recover anything in the case. Reach out to us today, to know if you’re eligible so we can help you make a claim regarding your housing disrepair. Housing disrepair claim solicitors are responsible for looking into and resolving such claims on your behalf. Our No win, no fee Housing disrepair claims solicitors are available for you to make your claim. We are a no-win-no-fee property damage solicitors.

  • Pay a percentage-based fee.

For FREE housing advice, call

Call Us 0800 999 7440

Best Housing Disrepair Attorneys

We can help you get the best housing disrepair solicitors for a claim against your Landlord. We have the best housing disrepair lawyers who can advise you on how to make your claim. Contact our housing disrepair helpline on 0800 999 7440 to start your claim today. To get a free claim assessment please visit us 

Posted on: Wed Feb 24 | 6:35 AM by: housing

No Win No Fee For Housing Disrepair Claims In The UK

Everyone has the legal right to live in a well maintained and secure property. In most tenancy agreements, the landlord is required to ensure that  the property doesn’t fall into disrepair. If your rented home is in disrepair and poses a health hazard to you, your landlord is required to fix it as soon as you report it. 


If they fail to correct that hazard after a reasonable period of time, you have the right to file for housing disrepair claims. Whether you are a housing association tenant, your housing association also has the obligation to fix disrepairs on your property as soon as you report it. 

What is housing disrepair?

Housing disrepair can be defined as a rented property/accommodation that needs repairs for it to be suitable for habitation. Housing disrepair ranges from mould problems, broken heater, plumbing issues, gutter issues, structural cracks to leaks, broken doors or locks, electricity problems, vermin or insect infestation. 

start a claim

Many problems classified as disrepair may seem like minor inconveniences but if left unattended, might lead to much bigger inconvenience. Take for example, a small crack in your roof. If a crack in your roof is not fixed on time, rainwater can get into your house through the crack which will result in damp, which consequently causes mould. Mould in turn can ruin your furniture and clothes; in worse case scenarios make existing respiratory illness like asthma or any form of allergies worse. 

It is important to note that housing disrepair is not restricted to the interior of a house. It also covers the exterior and any other inconveniences you or other occupants of your home might have suffered as a result of disrepair. Here at Housing Disrepair Claim, our team of expert housing disrepair solicitors are on hand to lend you the support you need to pursue a claim.

What are housing disrepair claims?

A housing disrepair claim is a lawsuit that involves a tenant taking a legal action against their landlord for refusing/failing to fix damage to the property.

If you encounter disrepair in your home and you report it to your landlord – under the terms of your tenancy contract – he has the obligation to fix it within a reasonable period of time. Your landlord’s obligation to you as a tenant is written under several pieces of legislation. According to section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act (LTA) 1985, a landlord is required by the law to:

  • keep in repair the structure – both interior and exterior of the dwelling, including drains, gutters and external pipes,
  • keep in repair and proper working order the insertion in the residence for the supply of water, gas, electricity and for sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences but not other fixtures, fittings and appliances for making use of the supply of water, gas or electricity.
  • keep in repair and proper working order the installation in the dwelling for space heating and heating water.

It is important to note that this section of the Landlord and Tenant Act is applicable to you even if you do not have a Tenancy agreement. 

If your landlord refuses to fix the damaged property, you have the right to file for housing disrepair claims and with the assistance of the best housing disrepair solicitors, you can be compensated for every discomfort suffered. Landlords are generally expected to respond to disrepair complaints  usually within 20 days. But if your landlord ignores the complaints after that, you can file for housing disrepair claims. 

How to claim compensation from your landlord. 

When making a housing disrepair claim, you are entitled to compensation for :

  • General  inconvenience : 

This refers to expenses incurred as a result of housing disrepair. Usually, such disrepairs hamper your ability to use your home fully. An example is if your door frame has been infested by termites that have eaten through the woods of your door, or a leaking roof that has caused your room to become damp. You may need to pay for an alternative accommodation because your rented home became exposed and unsafe for you to live in. These could count as general inconvenience and you may be eligible for compensation for the money spent. In addition, if the presence of mould and damp or perhaps unsanitary drains could not let you use your bathroom, you can file a claim for how these difficulties affected your ability to use the house. 

  • Damage to personal property :

If there was a pipe leak and the water leaked to your electrical appliances and damaged them, you can claim compensation on costs incurred in repairing or replacing those appliances. 

  • Personal injury :

If you or any of your loved ones have suffered an injury or ill health as a result of the disrepair on your home, you can lay a claim for compensation on the grounds of injury suffered. For example, moldy walls can cause allergies or aggravate existing conditions such as asthma and other respiratory illnesses. For personal injury you can make a claim for :

  • Medical costs
  • Aftercare
  • Medication
  • Pain and suffering 

Before you can successfully make a claim for compensation from your landlord, you have to make sure you have :

  • Informed the landlord about the damage on the property. 
  • Given the landlord reasonable time to carry out repairs on the property. 

You are required to notify your landlord either through texts or email or in person. You can also write a letter to him and all this just be 21 days before filing a housing disrepair claim. It is highly recommended that you send the notice through email or texts as this will be handy as proof of the time and date you made the complaint. Doing these would at least ensure the landlord was given a chance to fix the disrepair on the property. 

Furthermore, it is also important that you keep a record of reports of disrepair made. If you made them through text or emails, you should have that kept somewhere. Date and time is also very important as these can serve as evidence for your claim should you decide to pursue it. 

More so, if you or your loved ones have suffered an injury as a result of the disrepair, you should also keep important documents such as medical reports, receipts, and pictures as evidence to be submitted to the solicitor. If you have undertaken repairs and you have receipts that show that you have, you can also get compensation for the money spent to fix the disrepair. Feel free to contact us or alternatively fill our free claim assessment form and our housing disrepair claims solicitors will reach out to you. Note that you will be required to provide necessary evidence to support your claim. The more evidence you provide, the better your chances at getting a good verdict. 

How long does housing disrepair claims take?

When tenants make housing disrepair claims, usually landlords tend to quickly fix all the necessary damages and get them working as soon as possible. However, if you/loved ones have suffered personal injury, the case may take as long as 9-12 months and this is usually dependent on the landlord and resources available to them. 

If you are a housing association tenant, contact your housing association and follow their formal complaints procedure. Once you have completed the complaints procedure, you will then be required to wait for 8 weeks. During this waiting period, your housing association will be expected to resolve the complaints for you. If it does not and you decide to bring a claim for your housing association disrepair, the following documents would help to support your claim :

  • Copies of all correspondence between yourself and the housing association talking about the disrepair. 
  • Photo and video evidence of the problem. 
  • Medical records (for personal injury sustained. )
  • Record of phone calls regarding the problem. 
  • Receipts for any expenses incurred as a result of the disrepair. 

For FREE housing advice, call

Call Us 0800 999 7440

How we can help. 

We understand that when your home is at best inconvenient for living, it can turn to a nuisance and so we want to help you. If all you want is to get your repairs done or claim compensation for extra costs or personal injury or general inconveniences, our housing disrepair solicitors offer you a No Win No Fee housing disrepair claim. 

Essentially, what this means is that you only pay us a certain percentage of your total compensation  when your claim succeeds. On the other hand, if the claim is unsuccessful, you will not be charged any fee by our No Win No Fee housing disrepair solicitors. We will investigate and ensure that your landlord complies with his/her responsibilities and pays for the repairs to be done and also pay compensation to you if required. 

Contact us today. 

If you seek to make housing disrepair claims in Manchester, please reach out to us today. We understand that making a claim against your landlord might not be entirely pleasing at first but we are here to make sure the process goes seamlessly and stays straightforward and as stress-free as possible for you. You can take advantage of our housing disrepair solicitors No Win No Fee policy and contact us online or on our housing disrepair helpline. One of our expert housing solicitors will be in touch with you to guide you through the entire process and provide you with assistance every step of the way. 

Posted on: Wed Feb 10 | 10:02 AM by: housing

How Do Housing Disrepair Solicitors Help In Emergency?

Imagine there is a crisis or an urgent need of help because of a disrepair, all you need to do is contact a housing disrepair solicitor immediately.

Taking quick legal action against your landlord for housing disrepair may seem difficult but there is help available. With the legal assistance of housing disrepair claim solicitors, taking quick action on disrepair claims becomes easy.


What exactly is housing disrepair?

Housing disrepair means a rented property that is in need of repair in order for it to be safe and suitable for tenants to live in.

start a claim

If you are a tenant living in rented accommodation, your landlord is required by law to ensure:

  • That the house you live in is in a good state of repair structurally
  • That your house is free from damp and mould
  • That your drains and gutters are clear and working as they should be
  • That you have a working heating system
  • That you have safe access to electricity, gas and water
  • That you have working sanitation facilities i.e. toilet, basins, sinks, etc.
  • That your home is free from vermin or insect infestation

In a house where repairs or works are needed, if the landlord fails to carry out the work within a reasonable amount of time after the issues are reported by you, then this could be considered housing disrepair.

What repairs constitute housing disrepair?

Housing disrepair can include:

  • Damp
  •  Mould
  •  Condensation
  •  Leaks: mostly from roofs
  •  Missing or loose tiles
  •  Structural cracks
  •  Insect and rodent infestation
  •  Poor ventilation: Includes faulty air conditioners. 
  •  Boiler issues: Which could cause unavailability of running or hot water or heating.

Housing disrepair responsibility falls to the landlord whether you’re a social tenant living in either a housing association or council-owned properties, or a private tenant with a private landlord.

Nobody should have to accept poor living conditions. The Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation Act) means that repairs are now contractual and any breach of contract allows the tenant to take legal action.

When can I start my claim?

You can start court action to claim compensation during your tenancy or up to 6 years after it ends. Disrepair claims can be pursued for a number of reasons, whether you’ve injured yourself because of broken tiles, have developed breathing issues because of mould, or have been put at serious risk because of a boiler fault. If you’ve experienced landlord problems and  you are living in, or have lived in, a rented property that was in disrepair, you may be able to make a claim against your landlord.

If your rented  property falls into disrepair, sometimes, you may require a more urgent emergency repair. This is necessary because disrepairs in such instances may even lead to more distressing conditions for example life-threatening health issues and if not fixed. To start your claim during your tenancy, you can ask the court to order your landlord to carry out immediate repair works as it could be fatal to the health of you and your family. 

However, before you start a claim, you must have reported the faults/issues to your Landlord in order to take court action for compensation. For this reason you may prefer to start a repair only claim to enable urgent fix.

What can I claim for?

You can make a claim for compensation if repair problems in your rented property:

  • made you or someone in your property ill
  • damaged your belongings
  • caused you inconvenience
  • caused you harm or injury
  • caused you loss of finance

For FREE housing advice, call

Call Us 0800 999 7440

You can also claim compensation if you haven’t been able to use your property in the normal way because of repair problems. Our specialist housing disrepair solicitors are here to help you use your tenant’s rights to regain any financial loss and ensure your landlord is held accountable for their actions.

Landlord’s responsibilities

It is your legal right as a tenant to live in an apartment without damp, leaks, broken boiler, rodent infestation, broken window. So you really have no need to worry about how to claim compensation from your landlord. If you have reported any of these issues to your landlord, and they have not been fixed, you are eligible to claim for disrepair.

Your landlord is legally responsible to maintain your rented property by doing the following:

  • Replacing faulty or broken appliances such as circuit switch.
  • Repairing all water and gas leaks.
  • Ensuring that your home is free from damp and mould
  • Ensuring that boilers are working and meets safety standards.
  • Carrying out repairs.

Failure to meet these legal obligations means that your landlord is in breach of his duties which can put you or your household at risk in ways which includes:

  • Injuries such as cuts, bruises and fractures caused by falling due to poorly maintained floors.
  • Fatalities caused by electrical faults and gas leaks.
  • Aggravated health issues on your or other occupants of your home.
  • Respiratory issues such as asthma, difficulty in breathing and other breathing challenges caused by damp and mould.

It is necessary that you take immediate legal action and you can count on us at housingdisrepairclaim.co.uk to help you.

Making an emergency disrepair claim

If you notice a damage in your rented property you should report it immediately to the landlord. In a situation in which the landlord fails to respond to your disrepair claims, please contact us so that we can advise you on the necessary steps to take on how to claim compensation from your landlord.

Any damage to your property that negatively impacts your  health, affects your mental state or leads to unplanned financial losses may be eligible for a claim. Whether its a faulty boiler, plumbing issues, issue with roof leaks or defective machines, bring your case to us.

We have a lot of experience in dealing with housing disrepair claims and will act on your behalf to get a positive outcome. Feel free to contact us on our housing disrepair helpline or fill out our form for a free assessment.

Housing disrepair solicitors in emergency disrepair situations 

A housing disrepair solicitor is a legal practitioner who specializes in providing advice and representation to tenants in relation to claiming compensation for poor standards of maintenance in homes or properties.

If your rented property has fallen into disrepair, you are entitled to have repairs carried out at your landlord’s cost. Most landlords will accept to pay your compensation and/or carry out the necessary repairs. Housing disrepair solicitors are not restricted to tenants in private rented property, they also assist social housing tenants who are in urgent need of professional assistance.

In cases where you are in urgent need of a disrepair there is no “short cut”, the following steps should be taken;

  • Informing your landlord about your disrepair claims and seek immediate repair
  • When such repair is not attended to, you should immediately contact a housing solicitor
  • The housing solicitor would quickly seek a claim for disrepair and would ensure that your disrepair claims are sorted immediately.

What is a No Win No Fee?

A no win, no fee agreement is a contractual agreement between a solicitor and client who is pursuing a civil claim. Usually the agreement is that if the client is not successful in pursuing their claim, then there are no legal fees for them to pay. With no win no fee, there are no hidden clauses and no hidden charges, everything is explained upfront. 

A no win no fee solicitors agreement, also known as a Conditional Fee Agreement (CFA), helps protect you from financial risk when making a claim. And our housing disrepair solicitors london offer no win no fee contract for your claims.

No Win No Fee Claims Process

  • First step – contact our no win no fee housing solicitors for an initial consultation.
  • Next we will obtain details about your housing disrepair claims.
  • Our no win no fee solicitors will ask you questions and obtain details from you of any losses or expenses you have incurred as a result of your housing disrepairs.
  • If you have a case, our no win no fee housing solicitors will talk you through the next steps.

Importance of hiring no win no fee solicitors

Generally, solicitors play an important role in our society by supporting, and giving voice to patients in need of urgent repairs. And  aside from their obvious skill and working conditions, no win no fee housing solicitors offer you lots of benefits when helping with your disrepair claims. 

With these solicitors on your side, you incur no extra financial burdens. A no win no fee housing solicitor will file for emergency housing disrepair claim on your behalf and with their experience and skill, will help you get settlement for your housing disrepair claims.

Contact no win no fee solicitors for property damage or any other disrepair issues immediately a disrepair is noticed. Make your mind up today!!!

Posted on: Thu Feb 4 | 9:18 AM by: housing

Make a Housing Disrepair Claim Compensation from My Housing Association

Due to tenants concerns about eviction, most legitimate housing disrepair claims are not pursued against landlords. Well, this is understandable but from a legal view, this should not cause despair. The law is on your side!!!


What is housing disrepair?

When a property – whether privately owned or one under a housing association – is in need of essential repairs and as such falls below the required standard or is deemed unfit for habitation, the resulting condition is what is termed housing disrepair.

You are said to be a victim of housing disrepair when;

  • Your property has deteriorated from what it used to be as at the time you moved into the property.
  • Your landlord has been notified and given ample time to fix the problem 
  • Your landlord has failed to carry out the much needed repairs in your property

And you can make a claim for compensation as a result of the suffering and pain you have suffered. 

start a claim

Housing Association disrepair claims 

If you live in a rented property that has fallen into disrepair, you are likely to feel stressed and annoyed, particularly when your landlord is failing to fix the problem. It is your social housing landlord’s responsibility to maintain the rented property for you. Failure to do this could lead to discomfort and, in extreme cases, health problems for you as an occupant of the property.

Based on the Landlord-Tenant Act of 1985, your landlord (who in this case include housing associations, housing trusts and housing co-operatives) is obligated to make repairs on your request. Failure to make such repairs may result in a housing disrepair claims from solicitors, forcing landlords to fix the property and potentially pay compensation to you. If such housing disrepairs last for years, this amount might easily add up to thousands of pounds.

Who takes responsibility for Housing Association disrepairs? 

There seems to be a general misconception amongst tenants that the law differs for private and social housing  (Housing association owned properties) house owners. However, the fact is, all landlords have the same legal obligation to ensure the well-being and safety of their tenants. 

It is worth note that your housing association is legally charged with the responsibility of making sure that their properties are fit for living. So while you may feel uncomfortable pursuing compensation, for fear of being evicted, bear in mind that you are back by the law.

What are my landlord’s responsibilities?

If you have a written tenancy agreement, it may spell out the landlord’s obligations which includes carrying out repairs. Even if you do not have a written tenancy agreement, the landlord-tenant act of 1985 ensures that the landlord shares the responsibility of repairs.

Your landlord’s responsibilities include but is not limited to:

  • To ensure that boilers are serviced regularly and fixed when bad.
  • To fix leakage from pipes and other water related issues.
  • To fix plumbing and electrical faults.
  • To fix defective windows or broken doors 
  • To fix defective exterior finishes 
  • To correct disrepairs such as damp and mould.
  • To ensure that walls, roofs and floors are properly maintained through painting or changing them when bad.

Making Compensation claims from Housing Associations

If you are confused on how to claim compensation from your landlord, it is necessary that you seek help from housing disrepair claim solicitors. Whether you have suffered financial loss, damage to belongings because of a disrepair, you may have a case to claim a rent rebate from the landlord. 

You can check your tenancy agreement on how to report a disrepair if you have one. Report the disrepair to your housing association landlord and state clearly why you think compensation is warranted. If an agreement cannot be reached, you can contact one of our expert housing disrepair claim solicitors who will be happy to assist you with your claim.

Is your rented home  suffering from rat infestation or faulty electrics? broken step, gas leaks, mould and other house related defects? you may be eligible to make a claim following the procedures below;

  •  Identify the type of repair – Is it an electrical fault, Gas leaks?
  • Collect evidence of disrepair – Take pictures
  • Inform the landlord – Reports claim that most landlords and housing association are not often aware of defects on their property. As such, as a tenant you must ensure they are aware of the disrepair claims and given enough time to carry out these repairs. It is advisable to do this through mails.
  • Contact the environmental health department
  • Try a mediation service, if you fail to reach an agreement go to court and claiim compensation

What are my responsibilities as a housing association tenant?

Having identified procedures on how to claim compensation from your landlord, it is your responsibility to look after your home by using it in a “tenant like” way which means

  • Keeping your home clean 
  • Avoid causing damage to the property
  • Carrying out minor repairs yourself such as repainting a stained wall
  • Informing the landlord about the repairs that are needed 

In some cases, your landlord is not responsible for repair work until they are informed about it, so it’s up to you to tell your landlord about any repair that is required. This is part of the tenancy agreement (Landlord-Tenant Act).

What can one Claim for Housing Association disrepairs?

You might be thinking, what can I actually claim for? Well, there are areas you can actually claim for which includes:

  • General damages: could be your personal properties which has been damaged or loss of earnings.
  • Medical expenses: involves injuries to your health.
  • Care claim: compensation for living in a property with disrepair. 

Injury and Health Challenges association with disrepair 

Besides the discomfort and day-to-day terrible living conditions, housing disrepairs can lead to you suffering more serious injuries and health challenges. For instance, Damp conditions in a housing association may lead to tenants or occupants of a property suffering from different health issues including:

  • Asthma 
  • Lung disease
  • Breathing difficulties
  • Sinusitis

Recent figures show 47% of children with asthma are from the poorest 10% of families in the UK and 85% of children living in damp house suffer from breathing problems.

Broken steps, rust handrails and other defects can cause you to slip, fall and trip so, leaving you seriously injured. Broken wiring and poorly maintained boilers can cause fire hazards in your home, inhaling toxic fumes which contains carbon monoxide could prove fatal to your health.

How is housing disrepair compensation amounts calculated?

When it comes to compensation amounts for disrepair claims, nothing is set in stone. If you received compensation from housing association disrepair, the exact amount will be calculated by accessing a number of factors. These include:

  • The type and amount of damage to your belongings.
  • The cost of repairs
  • Cost of secondary accommodation, if you have to move out.
  • Inconveniences caused
  • Additional cost resulting from disrepair.

If you want to have an idea of how much your claim is worth, contact us today. Our No Win No Fee housing disrepair solicitors will investigate you claim, including evidences provided to determine an estimated value of your claims worth.

For FREE housing advice, call

Call Us 0800 999 7440

Social Housing Disrepair solicitors

In order to make a claim for compensation from your landlord, you need to seek help from housing disrepair solicitors. These are experienced legal professionals who specialize in providing legal advice and representation to tenants in relation to claiming compensation for poor standards of maintenance in rented or housing association properties.

At housingdisrepairclaim.co.uk, we have some of the best housing disrepair solicitors who will help you claim compensation, if your landlord has turn deaf ears to your complaints having being notified of disrepairs.

If you are living in Manchester and are bothered about making housing disrepair claims in Manchester, we can help you. Our solicitors have successfully handled tons of cases associated with social housing/ housing association disrepair. Feel free to fill our assessment form or call in via our housing disrepair helpline anytime and one of our housing disrepair claims solicitors will reach out to you. 

No win No fee Housing disrepair claims

Some people are quite suspicious about no win, no fee claims. Are there any hidden charges after commitment? While few things are free, there is no catch when it comes to a no win, no fee claim. The system has been designed to ensure everybody has access to the courts and can claim compensation, regardless of how much money they have.

At housingdisrepairclaim.co.uk, you have access to no win no fee housing disrepair claims. What this means is that you will not be required to pay any fee for services provided, until there is a favorable result – that is when you have been awarded a compensation. The amount charged after a successful claim known as “Success Fee” is usually a percentage fraction of your total compensation.

 With such conditional agreement in place, it makes it easier for people of limited means to pursue claims for compensations they are deserving of without having to incur heavy financial burdens.

Contact us 

Take advantage of our housing disrepair solicitors No Win No Fee agreement plan to avert financial risks associated with making compensation claim. You will be provided the best advice and legal support once our experts have confirmed that you have a valid claim.

Disrepair does not have to mean despair!!! Contact us to represent you today!


Posted on: Tue Jan 12 | 6:54 AM by: housing

Claiming Compensation for Housing Disrepair

When we rent a property, we like to feel safe and comfortable to live and conduct our affairs. If your home falls into a state of disrepair and exposes you to health hazards, you do not have to put up with it. Landlords have specific legal obligations that they must meet to ensure their properties are fit for tenants to live in. If they fail in this regard and it causes you discomfort, injury or illness, then you may be entitled to housing disrepair claims.


start a claim

Before we take a dive into the compensation you may be entitled to, let us discuss housing disrepair and housing disrepair claims

What Is Housing Disrepair?

In clear terms, housing disrepair means when a rented home, or any other type of rented accommodation is in a damaged or deteriorated state that needs repairs, compared to when you moved in. 

Such deterioration could be on the exterior as well as the interior of the house and may include mould problems, broken boiler, plumbing issues, gutter issues; essentially anything that inconveniences or causes discomfort and suffering to you as a tenant in the home. 

What Are Housing Disrepair Claims?

Landlords are required by law to ensure that the properties they rent to people meets a certain standard (of good state) structurally. Housing Disrepair Claims are lawsuits filed against landlords who fail to meet a certain standard or act negligently towards their responsibilities. 

If you have reported disrepair to your landlord a long time ago and he has been reluctant in carrying out the necessary repairs, or outrightly ignores you, you can claim for disrepair. With the assistance of the best housing disrepair solicitors, you can get the compensation for every bit of discomfort you suffered.

Common examples of housing disrepair in the UK include:

Sometimes of the most common housing disrepair issues our housing disrepair claims solicitors UK have handled include;

  • Damp and mould
  • Water damage from leaks/ plumbing issues
  • Broken electrical appliances
  • Water heater issues
  • Pest infestation
  • Broken doors or windows
  • Leaky roofs

When Can I Make Housing Disrepair Claims for?

You can take legal action against your landlord anytime during your tenancy, and even after you move out. Generally, you can start a housing disrepair compensation claim within six years after you first reported the disrepair. However, you will have only three years to start a claim if the disrepair caused you personal injury.

What am I entitled to for Housing Disrepair Claims?

When it comes to housing disrepair claims, generally, you can be awarded the following: 

  • repairs
  • compensation
  • legal costs

If your home has fallen into a state of disrepair, you are entitled to have those repairs done by your landlord. When your landlord refuses to fix things, you can recover compensation for:

  • Damage to belongings – When it want to claim for disrepair, you can include the value of damage to your belonging in your claim. For example, if mould affected your bedding, carpets, clothing you can claim compensation for this. In addition, if an electrical problem damaged your electrical appliances, compensation for damage to belongings will cover the cost of repairing and replacing the damaged properties. In most cases, you may get less than the cost of damaged items as you would be expected to buy second hand replacements. 
  • Personal injury – If housing disrepair has caused you or your loved one ill health due to poor living conditions, housing disrepair claims solicitors can look into your case to help you pursue a compensation claim. Compensation amounts received in this case however will depend on the severity of your illness and/ or how long such illness has lasted. Also, if you incurred certain financial burdens or losses, you can also claim compensation for this. 
  • General inconvenience –  Any other form of incovenience caused by disrepair can also attract financial compensation. Whether its in cash sum or a partial rebate of your rent during the period of disrepair.

How to claim compensation from your landlord 

Landlords may not always know about the defects on the properties they rent since they do not live onsite. As a result, you, as a tenant, must do the following to lodge a successful compensation claim:

  • Inform your landlord about the problem while you are a tenant prior to your injury;
  • Allow your landlord reasonable time to carry out needed repairs prior to your injury.

All landlords must respond to complaints about disrepair within a reasonable period of time – which is usually within 20 days. However, it is only logical that a landlord responds sooner if the disrepair is hazardous and life-threatening.

Furthermore, in order for your disrepair claims to be successful, it is important that you keep records of evidence such as texts, emails between you and the landlord, or any other form of evidence. Important dates, including the dates you made complaints about the housing disrepair to your landlord should be taken note of. 

For FREE housing advice, call

Call Us 0800 999 7440

What Do I Need to Prove My Claim?

If your landlord has failed in his/her duty to ensure that you as a tenant enjoy a healthy/safe living condition, or has refused to carry out necessary repairs within a reasonable time, housing disrepair laws make it possible for you to make a claim. 

All you need to do to prove your claim is collate evidence that your solicitor  can present before the court as a proof that you do, in fact, have a housing disrepair claim. 

In cases where houding disrepair has caused personal injury,  important documents such as medical reports, quotes, receipts and photographs will come in handy. If there are repairs you have undertaken on your own, with receipts available, you can also get compensation for these extra costs incurred to make your home habitable. 

If you get in contact with any of our housing disrepair claims solicitors, you will be asked to provide necessary evidence to support your claim. Thereafter, your solicitor will ascertain the impact of the housing disrepair on your life or living conditions and would give you sound advice on your chances of getting compensation. 

Invariably, the more relevant information provided, the better the chance you have at a successful outcome.

How long will my housing disrepair claim take?

When housing disrepair claims have been made, many landlords act promptly to repair and fix all necessary damages. But if you have suffered severe injury, the case may take as long as months to be resolved. 

In our expeeience, depending on the landlord and resources available to them, a housing disrepair claim case usually takes between 9 – 12 month. This is usually the time frame from initial client conference to when compensation payment is made. 

How is my housing disrepair claims compensation calculated?

A number of factors affect the compensation you can expect from housing disrepair claims. Usually the compensation you get is directly proportional to the type of housing disrepair, the severity of impact and duration of such incovenience and discomfort. 

 One of the basic approach to the calculation of general damages caused by housing disrepair compensation is reducing a percentage of the rent payable. Depending on the severity of your claim, you may be entitled to as much as 20 – 35% reduction  or refund of the rent you paid throughout the duration of your disrepair. 

On the other hand, compensation for special damages which may include damage of personal belongings, also apply.  For example, damages to property caused by mould, damp or leaks could attract certain compensation amounts. 

How we can help

When your landlord refuses to repair your home, you might be subjected to harsh living conditions. We understand the impact this may have on your life as it could seriously affect your quality of life.

If you are a tenant, living in rented property that has fallen into disrepair,  we can help you. Whether you want to get your repairs done at the earliest possible time or claim compensation for extra financial burdens, our housing disrepair claims solicitors offer you a No Win No Fee housing disrepair claim.

We will thoroughly investigate your case, and ensure that your Landlord who has failed to comply with his/ her responsibilities will do so. We will assist you in to claim for disrepair compensation and legal costs.

No Win No Fee Housing Disrepair Claims

The most affordable way to fund your housing disrepair claims is with a No Win No Fee agreement. If you are sure you have suffered a housing disrepair, we will give you the option of claiming compensation on a No Win No Fee basis.

We work with a team of no win no fee housing solicitors who will offer you first class legal support and representation without requesting any upfront solicitor fees. Our housing disrepair solicitors london no win no fee agreement takes out all financial risks involved in pursuing housing disrepair claims.


With a No Win No Fee housing disrepair claim, you will only be required to pay a certain percentage of your total compensation should your claim be successful. Conversely, in an event of an unsuccessful claim, you will not be charged any fee by our No Win No Fee housing solicitors. 

Contact us today 

If you are a victim of housing disrepair seeking compensation for all you have suffered in the hands of your landlord, feel free to reach out to us today. You can contact us online or by phone and one of our expert housing disrepair  will be in touch to discuss your requirements for free. 

Posted on: Mon Nov 30 | 12:06 PM by: housing

What Action Should be Taken if Your Landlord Doesn’t Make Repairs?

Landlords are primarily responsible for keeping the structure and exterior of a rented property in a good state of repair and ensure all systems are working properly. Any tenancy agreement you sign will usually have a section where your landlord’s responsibilities are explained. If your rented property is in poor condition and your landlord is refusing to do vital repairs that puts you in harm’s way, you can make housing disrepair claims against your landlord.


Vital repairs are those that impact your quality of life and can expose you to health problems and make your home insecure. For instance, if the lock of your front door has a problem or your gas central heating system fails to function, or there is excessive damp, your home becomes unsafe for you to live in and it is the responsibility of your landlord to fix the damage.

Here are some of the actions you can take if your landlord has refused to make necessary repairs:

start a claim

Gather Records and Evidence of the Disrepair

You should keep records and evidence of the disrepair. This will be helpful in your pursuit of a solution. Take photos of the repair problem as well as damage to your belongings and send them to your landlord. Photo evidence is the best way to communicate with your landlord especially if you have complained verbally and he has failed to take action.

If the housing disrepair is putting your life in danger and your landlord has refused to fix them, then you may reach out to the authorities. It is your landlord’s responsibility to ensure gas, electric and other appliance installations are functioning the way they should. Before escalating the matter, however, you may need to chase them again.

Chase Your Landlord

A landlord can only be held responsible for housing disrepair when they know about it; so, the first step is to inform your landlord exactly what repairs you need in writing and how this is affecting your quality of life. Do this by letter or email so you can refer to them later on.

When you write your landlord, remind them of their responsibility to carry out repairs, suggest dates they could do the repairs and let them know the quality of repair you would consider acceptable. After writing, it is important to allow a reasonable amount of time for your landlord to get the repairs done, as they may need to get quotes and make arrangements for the repairs. The deadline for this is 21 days from when your landlord receives your correspondence.

If the housing disrepair is minor and wouldn’t cost too much to fix, you can pay for them to be done. When you do this, keep all quotes and receipts of the payments you made so you can ask that your landlord take them off your monthly rent.

Inform your landlord of your intentions to contact the local council

If your landlord still fails to do the repairs or does not respond at all, write to them again and inform them about your intentions to contact your local authority so they can come to inspect your home. This may be just enough to get your landlord to take action; this is because once the local authorities come around, they will not only look out for the problems you reported but other housing disrepair issues you may not have noticed.

Request help from your local council authority

Under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System, your local council can inspect your home to ensure it is safe for you to live in. If the inspection is done and they discover too many issues, they will give your landlord a deadline to carry out necessary repairs. If your landlord fails to comply, your local council can plan on taking landlord to court.

If communication between you and your landlord has broken down, your local council may also be able to make negotiations on your behalf. Keep in mind that your local council may not be able to help if they do not think your health is in danger. In this case, you can reach out to a local advice center (Citizens Advice) or your local housing charity (e.g. Shelter).

Take Legal Action

Taking legal action should be your last resort if you have exhausted all available options and your landlord still refuses to carry out repairs. If you decide to take legal action against you landlord, you can order them to do the repairs and pay compensation for damages incurred.

How to Claim Compensation from Your Landlord

If your rented property is in a state of disrepair and your landlord continues to ignore the problem, you may be able to make a compensation claim for disrepair. You can claim compensation for the inconvenience you have endured, property damage due to the disrepair, injuries suffered, and loss of income if the housing disrepair affected your ability to work.

When making housing disrepair claims against your landlord, you will need the support of experienced disrepair solicitors to enhance your chances of receiving the compensation you deserve and cover the cost of the hardship you endured as a result of your landlord’s negligence.

However, before contacting solicitors that deal with housing issues in London and other parts of the UK, you will need to gather supporting evidence for your claim. Evidence gathering was discussed at the outset of this article.

When it comes to making housing disrepair claims, it is very important that you prove that your landlord has acted negligently. Your landlord can be considered negligent if they have refused to comply with the standards set by the Landlord and Tenants Act of 1985. If they have breached their duty as outlined in this act, you may be able to pursue a claim for disrepair.

For FREE housing advice, call

Call Us 0800 999 7440

What Can I Claim Against My Landlord?

You can make claims for a range of damages, including:

  •         General damages

 This is compensation for intangible damages such as the emotional suffering you endured as a result of your landlord’s negligence. It compensates for the long-term pain your landlord’s actions has had on your life as well as any loss of reputation you may suffer.

  •         Special damages

This compensates for the loss of earnings due to the negligence of your landlord. If you have suffered an injury as a result of your landlord’s continued refusal to do repairs, you may claim compensation for the medical expenses and travel costs associated with your care.

The Housing Disrepair Law is on Your Side

If you have found yourself in a situation where your landlord has ignored calls for repairs on your rented property, it is worth noting that the law protects you. In the past, landlord obligations under the law were vague and difficult to prove, but this is no longer the case. Tenants deserve to live in a safe and secure space and where appropriate measures are not taken to ensure the rented property remains habitable, compensation claims can be made.

No Win No Fee Housing Disrepair Claims

If you are considering pursuing a claim for disrepair against your landlord, funding may prove to be a challenge. At housingdisrepairclaim.co.uk, we work with a panel of specialist housing disrepair solicitors who will discuss the details of your case and determine if you have a reasonable chance of a successful claim. If we believe you have a claim, we will offer a No Win No Fee agreement to shoulder the costs of making a claim on your behalf.

Under the No Win No Fee arrangement, you do not have to pay any upfront solicitor fees and we guarantee that we will do our best to secure the compensation you deserve.

Why Choose Us?

If you decide to make a claim for disrepair against your landlord, you will need the support of a reliable solicitor to provide you with expert insight and reduce the financial risk of pursuing a claim. With our knowledge and experience in dealing with compensation claims against landlords, you can count on us to give you the support you need to make a claim. We prioritise the well-being of our clients – and will be happy to help you get your life back on track.

Call us today on 0800 999 7440 for a free, no obligation advice on your potential claim.


Posted on: Wed Nov 18 | 12:17 PM by: housing

COVID-19 And the Rise of Housing Disrepair Claims in the UK

Claim For Disrepair

Whether you or a loved one has been infected with the coronavirus disease or not, the pandemic will affect your life in some way. If you are a landlord or tenant, you may now be adjusting to a new normal when it comes to housing. Before the pandemic, many landlords – particularly housing associations and local authority – were already having a hard time fulfilling their repair obligations towards their tenants, probably due to the increasing maintenance costs or ageing housing stock. But how has the pandemic played a role in housing disrepair claims?

Claim For Disrepair

This struggle is set to increase as landlords come to terms with the challenge of carrying out repairs and complying with government guidance. When the ‘exit plan’ from the lockdown was set by the Prime Minister on 10 May 2020, people who could not work from home were encouraged to go to work only if they believed it was safe to do so. Shortly after, the Minister of State for Housing addressed the issue of repair and maintenance in a letter sent to social housing residents in England. The letter states that “landlords should be able to carry out the routine as well as essential repairs for most households.

As far as repair and maintenance obligations go, nothing has changed. Landlords are still required to carry out works “within a reasonable time” once there is a defect. In view of the COVID-19 pandemic, “reasonable time” should be taken into account. The courts are now employing a practical approach towards resolving claims for disrepair. However, if you encounter disrepair issues as a tenant, you should notify your landlord the usual way.

While there is a decline in disrepair claims due to the current restrictions, the number of tenants taking landlords to court will likely increase as the situation eases. Good communication and record keeping between tenants and landlords will be crucial.

The Landlord’s Responsibility

Landlords have a duty to ensure their tenants live in clean, safe and habitable conditions. This means an adequate supply of water, gas, and electricity, especially with the threat posed by the COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, it is your right as a tenant to report any issues affecting your living conditions.

The Ministry for Justice’s Pre-Action Protocol for Housing Conditions Cases (England) provides a guidepost concerning how landlords should handle repair and maintenance works. However, the current COVID-19 climate means following these guidelines to the letter will be affected by:

  • 2m physical distancing
  • furloughed workers
  • tenants, housing officers, tradesmen and surveyors self-isolating.

Once a letter of claim for disrepair has been issued by a tenant, the landlord is expected to respond within 20 working days of receipt of the letter. If the landlord fails to respond within 20 working days of receiving the letter of claim, he/she has breached the protocol and disrepair solicitors can act on behalf of the tenant to issue proceedings against the landlord.

Existing Housing Disrepair Issues

Where a housing disrepair issue was reported to a landlord prior to the lockdown, “reasonable period” will now depend on when the issue was reported.

For instance, if a tenant reported a disrepair problem in January and the landlord failed to carry out the necessary inspection and repairs before the COVID-19 enforced restriction on 23 March 2020, the landlord will be deemed negligent. A reasonable landlord could have acted promptly and completed the maintenance work before the lockdown; so, despite the current situation of things, the tenant may be able to pursue a claim for disrepair.

If, on the other hand, the tenant reported an issue only a few days before the restrictions were put in place, the landlord would likely request for more time as they did not have a “reasonable period” to undertake inspection and maintenance works before the lockdown.

Housing Disrepair Claims During the COVID-19 Pandemic

Since the severity of rental property damage is on a case by case basis, it is the duty of a landlord to determine whether a repair or maintenance work is urgent. In light of the current situation, here are a few factors that relevant parties in a disrepair case should consider the following:

  • Risk assessment should be done to determine whether a repair is urgent or can be postponed to a later, more practical time. For instance, the tenant may have to vacate the rental property during the repair process; doing this at this time when social distancing is crucial may be impractical. Therefore, the landlord may request for more time, stating the reason for the delay.
  • Whether the alleged disrepair is detrimental to the health and safety of a tenant or poses long-term danger. Repair works should be done to eliminate those risks.
  • The availability of building materials and when repair works can be completed as a result.

Contact Housing Disrepair Solicitors

If you are a tenant – whether this be in a council, housing association or private property – it is the duty of your landlord to keep your house in a good state of repair. If you have reported a disrepair to your landlord, and he/she has failed to carry out the works, causing you inconvenience or even health problems, then you may be entitled to a claim for disrepair.

At the peak of the pandemic, landlords were required to give urgent attention to issues like leaks in the roof, security breaches (broken windows, external doors, etc.), and heating or hot water problems. With the government’s planned four-week lockdown ahead of the festive period, your landlord’s responsibility remains the same. They must ensure your rented property is safe and habitable.

We work with a panel of specialist housing disrepair solicitors who have the knowledge and experience required to act on behalf of poorly treated tenants, even at this difficult time. They will handle your case with great care and professionalism.

No Win No Fee Housing Disrepair Claims

Our specialist solicitors will likely offer to work with you on a No Win No Fee basis if you have suffered harm as a result of your landlord’s negligence. A No Win No Fee agreement simply means that you wouldn’t have to pay any legal fees unless your case is successful. This allows normal members of society to be able to pursue housing disrepair claims without having to worry about the cost of funding a claim.

A No Win No Fee agreement gives you the confidence that our no win no fee housing solicitors will do everything possible to ensure your claim is successful, as we would not receive anything if you lose. If your claim is successful, you will be required to pay a success fee to your chosen law firm. The success fee is a percentage of your final compensation award – and the amount will be agreed between you and your solicitors at the start of your claim. It ranges from 0-25% of your compensation award.

Contact Us Today

At housingdisrepairclaim.co.uk, we offer expert legal support and advice on housing disrepair related matters, including how to claim compensation from landlord at this difficult time posed by the pandemic. Our disrepair solicitors will be happy to discuss details of your case, and provide answers to any questions you may have as regards making a No Win No Fee housing disrepair claim.

During these trying times, it can be challenging to determine what could qualify as a potential ground for a claim. Our expert solicitors will help you understand what steps you need to take at this time and, if a claim is made on your behalf, keep you fully informed about the progress of the claim every step of the way.

For specialist legal support on pursuing a No Win No Fee housing disrepair claim following negligent treatment from your landlord, do not hesitate to give us a call in confidence on 0800 999 7440.

Contact us Now

[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]


    Please check your details before you submit this form. By submitting your details you confirm your agreement to our privacy policy

    Office Address :

    Unit 2, Connect Business Village, 24 Derby Road, Liverpool, L5 9PR