Best Housing Disrepair Solicitors - Housing Disrepair Claim
Posted on: Fri Apr 16 | 6:46 AM by: housing

Housing Disrepair Claims & Compensation Solicitors in London

You have a legal right as a tenant to live in a home that is not dangerous and free from any issues of disrepair which can tend to harm you or your family. If you are living in a rented property that has been poorly maintained or not maintained at all and your landlord has been complacent about the disrepair even after reporting the issue, you might have to consult a housing disrepair solicitor to give you paid or free landlord advice.


Court action should be the last resort after negotiations, deliberation and dialogue has failed to yield positive results because court action can be costly and time consuming.

This article elucidates more about what disrepair is all about, what is involved in soliciting for compensation, evidence you will need, and what jurisdiction the court has over the case.

In the United Kingdom, there are laws that pertains to tenancy and housing which are applicable if you:

  • Rent privately
  • Rent from a housing association
  • Rent from a local council/authority

It is the responsibility of the landlords (be it housing association, private, or council/local authority) unless otherwise stated, to make sure that their properties are secure, safe and free from disrepair. However, a tenant has the right to make claims against landlords if the landlord refuses to take responsibility for the disrepair thereby making the tenants live in potentially unhealthy and dangerous conditions.

As a tenant, you can take legal action against your landlord with the help of housing solicitors near you (in the form of a housing disrepair claim). This is applicable, if you feel your property is in a state of disrepair and you have already discussed the issues with your landlord, and he/she/they have not been able to resolve the issue within a reasonable time after making your complaint.

If you are a tenant living in social housing or you are a council tenant and your home is in a state of disrepair, you may also be eligible for some financial compensation if you have suffered as a result of the housing issues you have faced. Also there are council housing solicitors also known as council tenant solicitor experts that will be able to support you in making a claim to get your home returned to a habitable condition.

start a claim

 Meaning of Housing Disrepair 

Housing disrepair is a condition whereby a rented property is not structurally safe and suitable for a tenant to inhabit and needs to be fixed by the landlord as required by law. The failure of your landlord to maintain the structure and exterior of the property can cause water damage, a faulty boiler or structural problems. Other housing disrepair condition include:

  1. Damp / mould issues: Damp and mould spores are highly hazardous to tenants wellbeing, they worsen breathing challenges and are also said to be a cause of </asthma and eczema in children. The aged, the sick and young tenants are mostly at risk from it, and tenant can seek for compensation from landlord for mould and damp.
  2. Unstable building
  3. Poor ventilation
  4. No hot water / heating or boiler problem in rented property
  5. Water damage
  6. Drainage and sanitation issues
  7. Roof leaks
  8. Electrical hazards
  9. Blown (misty) double glazed units

Housing Disrepair Requirements from Landlords

In most tenancies, repairing duties are included into the terms of the tenancy. The repairing responsibilities require a landlord to keep in good condition the structure and exterior of the dwelling house and also keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the property for different supply like water, gas, electricity; sanitation, space heating, and no heating or hot water in rented property. The law does not allow the landlord to contract out of their repairing obligation.

In a situation of a leasehold property, the repairing obligation of the freeholder is contained in the terms of the lease.

Subject upon the root cause of the problems in your home, a property solicitor in London may be able to bring a claim in the County Court pursuing an order for repairs to be carried out, as well as requesting for financial compensation. On the other hand, in some serious situations, proceedings can be brought before the Magistrates Court in relation to housing disrepair claims.

What are some of the effects of housing disrepair?

Damages caused by negligence of disrepair of property can have a negative impact on your health and cause damage to your personal belongings, which could lead to financial loss as well as having the possibility of affecting your mental wellbeing.

If you have experienced any challenge as regard to disrepair and your landlord has failed to fix the situation within a realistic time since you reported the issues, you are entitled to make a housing disrepair claim. Contact a London housing solicitor firm and speak to a member of our specialist housing disrepair team through their free housing advice helpline.

How to claim compensation from your landlord

The first step is to complain to your landlord; you then need to contact a no win no fee property solicitors London if they act nonchalant about the issues you have raised or refuse to fix your home.

Most of these housing solicitors offer free consultation at the initial time. Their team of expert housing lawyers will attend to you to assess your present condition and counsel you on whether there is a strong case for legal action. At this stage, it is vital that much information as possible about your potential claim is gathered.

Taking photographs of the state of disrepair would be a useful supporting evidence and the team of housing lawyers would ask you to share them with them. The photos can be sent to the team of best housing disrepair solicitors via email or other instant messaging apps like whatsapp, facebook messenger or instagram.

For FREE housing advice, call

Call Us 0800 999 7440

When you should take court action

There are some checks you have made or things you have to put into consideration before deciding whether or not to take court action against your landlord for failing to make repairs. you should:

  • Check if your landlord is liable for the repairs
  • Check if you have reported the issue (at least once) and have allowed your landlord a reasonable amount of time to do the work.
  • Consider the fact that you might be at risk of eviction if you are a private rented tenant,
  • Think about whether you have tried other options to resolve the problem first
  • Consider the evidence you have if any to help support your case
  • Think about whether you can afford to take court action if you can’t get help with legal costs like no win no fee claims against council.

If you think that the only option for you is to take court action, then you will need the help of a specialist adviser or a housing solicitor to help you claim for disrepair.

Can you afford to take court action?

It can be expensive most times to consider taking court action. A tenant may be qualified for help with legal costs under the legal aid scheme depending on their income and the nature of their case. Only in cases where there is a serious risk to you or a family member’s health and safety can Legal aid be made available.

You would only have to pay a fixed fee if you do not qualify for legal aid, then your claim could be heard in the small claims court. Small claims is one of three court routes that a case can follow. These routes are called tracks. The other tracks are the fast track and the multi-track.

The small claims limit of £10,000 applies in situations where the only claim is for compensation (damages). However, if a claim includes an application for an order for repair work to be done, it will only be allocated to the small claims track if both the: 

  • Estimated damages are less than £1,000, and
  • Estimated cost of the repair work is less than £1,000.
  • If any of the amount is expected to be more than £1,000, the court will normally allocate the case to the fast track.

A tenant can check any credit card agreements or insurance policies they have in a case where they do not qualify for legal aid as these may include legal expenses insurance. Trade unions may also offer legal advice on matters other than work-related issues.

Some solicitors known as housing disrepair solicitors no win no fee” may also offer ‘no win, no fee’ agreements as a way of funding a repair claim.

What can the court do?

The court can ask your landlord do the repair work by making:

  • An order called an order for specific performance, or
  • An injunction called a mandator injunction.

The court also declared in its power that you can do the repairs yourself and deduct the cost from future rent.

Your landlord can be fined or imprisoned if they do not do the repair work specified in the order or injunction.


Compensation known as damage can be awarded by the court to a tenant. Damages restores you back to the financial position you would have been in had your landlord made the repairs when they should have done. You can get damages if:

  • Your belongings have been damaged or destroyed
  • You have been injured or made ill
  • You have been inconvenienced and unable to use your home in the normal way.

How much can I expect to receive in housing repair damages?

When making a claim against a landlord, it is imperative to note and understand that the principal role of a housing law team is to make sure that the home you live in is repaired as soon as possible. Your health and wellbeing is always their main concern.

If a housing lawyer believes that you are eligible for financial compensation, it will be because the problems you have experienced have not been resolved for a significant amount of time and have caused you and members of your family distress.

All disrepair claims by tenants are unique, so there is not an amount stated as a guide to the level of compensation a tenant could receive. Several factors will all be taken into account which include but not limited to the number of rooms affected by the disrepair, the severity of the problem, the impact on your health and any damage to your personal belongings.

No Win No Fee Housing solicitors

On investigating, housing disrepair solicitors will let you know if you have an eligible claim. If you do, then they will continue on a ‘No Win No Fee’ basis. This is known as a Conditional Fee Agreement, which implies that you are financially secured because, if we do not win your case, there is no payment to be made. It also provides comprehensive clarity for payment that all parties understand and there are no hidden charges.

Evidence to help support your case

Before taking court action, having information and evidence handy will help to support your case. This includes:

  • A copy of your tenancy agreement
  • Copies of any correspondence between you and your landlord
  • Photographs of what needs repairing
  • Copies of medical reports or a note of medical visits if you were injured or made ill
  • A list of or photographs of belongings that have been damaged and copies of receipts if you had to replace damaged items
  • Any expert evidence you have, for example, reports from a surveyor or an Environmental Health Officer.

The cost of some expert reports may be covered if you are entitled to legal aid. If you are not eligible to legal aid you have to pay for the cost of any reports yourself.

Pre-action protocols

A special procedure called the Pre-Action Protocol for Housing Disrepair Cases – the ‘Disrepair Protocol’ must follow before taking court action.

You might end up paying your landlord the money they have spent going to court and your claims are rejected if you don’t follow the Disrepair Protocol. Following the Disrepair Protocol shows the court that you’ve tried to sort out the problem with your landlord before going to court.

The Disrepair Protocol aims to encourage tenants and their landlords to resolve the problem without having to go to court. It sets out detailed actions and timetables that must be followed from when a claim is started.

The Disrepair Protocol recommends that you and your landlord should contemplate some form of alternative dispute resolution (ADR) before going to court, such as mediation.

The Disrepair Protocol does not apply to counterclaims. 

For example, if your landlord takes ownership proceedings against you for rent arrears and you defend the claim by asking the court to ‘set off’ your right to compensation for the counterclaim against any arrears.

What do you have to do under the protocol?

After you have reported the disrepairs and have given your landlord a reasonable time to do the work. Under the protocol, you have to send your landlord a letter called an early notification letter, calling their attention to possible court action. The letter is available in the protocol.

Your landlord has to respond within 20 working days. In a situation where their response is not satisfactory, or the problem is not resolved, you can apply to the county court.  A copy of the protocol is available from the Ministry of Justice website. Pre-Action Protocol for Housing Disrepair Cases at

Personal injury protocol

In an event of personal injury and you decide to make a personal injury claim against your landlord because they failed to make repairs. There is also a special procedure that must be followed. It’s called the Pre-Action Protocol for Personal Injury Claims.

Time limits for taking court action

In most cases, you have to take court action within six years. If it is based on your landlord not meeting the terms of your tenancy agreement the court action is called a breach of contract. In these conditions, the six years starts when you inform your landlord about a problem they should repair and they do not do anything about it in a reasonable time.

If the court action is based on negligence or nuisance, the six years begins when the damage to property or an injury happened.

In personal injury cases, the limit is three years from the date of the injury.

start a claim


How much is housing disrepair compensation?

A property with no heating or hot water, perhaps no water or electricity supply at all, an award of 100% would be possible, extremely severe damp, and structural damage meaning it was dangerous. It is much more usual for judges to make awards around the 25% to 50% range.

Can I sue my landlord for disrepair?

You can ask your landlord for compensation if they fail to carry out repairs within a reasonable time once you’ve reported them. You may also be entitled to compensation if your home is unfit to live in because of poor conditions. You can take court action if your landlord won’t agree to compensation.

Can a solicitor help with council housing?

Most county courts have legal advisers or solicitors present at the times when possession hearings are organized. A duty adviser can be of support if your landlord, housing association, council or lender is taking court action to evict you. They can render advice and speak on your behalf.

Can I claim compensation from my housing associate?

It may be possible to make a claim for compensation for the illness or injury a tenant or member of the public sustains if the Housing Association is in charge for repairing the defect and they fail to do so within a reasonable time, then.

How long does it take to receive an offer of compensation?

Once you accept an offer of settlement for a personal injury claim, your compensation money should usually be received within 14-28 days from the date of settlement. However, this timeframe is only a common guide, as how long it takes to receive your compensation can differ based on some factors.

Can I sue my landlord for stress?

If your landlord breaches the warranty of habitability or the warranty of quiet enjoyment, you may be able to sue her to recover financial damages. In some states, such as California and Arizona, you may be able to pursue emotional distress damages if the landlord’s actions were particularly disturbing.

What is the housing disrepair protocol?

The Ministry of Justice through the Civil Procedure Rules stipulates a Housing Disrepair Protocol to be followed if a leaseholder intends to bring such a claim. The Protocol is most frequently used by tenants of rented premises, but it also applies to leaseholders in England & Wales.

What is a landlord’s duty of care?

A landlord can be held liable if an injury or fatality occurred due to the poor condition of the property (for example a fall caused by a broken handrail). Because statutory and common law requires that there should be no unacceptable level of risk to the health or safety of the occupiers or their visitors.

Can you ask your landlord to remove furniture?

Over time, experience has shown that landlords are very unwilling to add or remove furniture, with very few exceptions. Any addition or removal of furniture or fittings should be agreed by the landlord and the tenant earlier to a tenancy agreement being offered.

How do I get a free solicitor?

If you can’t get legal aid or pay for your own solicitor or barrister. Some charities or volunteer lawyers might be able to help

  • Ask your local Citizens Advice.
  • Get help with a consumer problem.
  • Find a law centre.
  • Contact LawWorks.
  • Get help from Advocate.
  • Exceptional case funding.
  • Getting advice for free or a fixed fee.

What sort of funding is available for housing disrepair cases?

These are the different types of funding that are available in housing disrepair cases: Conditional Fee Agreements (“CFAs”) also known as “no win no fee” agreements – Most housing solicitors retain discretion over whether to act under a CFA and cannot assure a client that this form of funding will be available in all cases. A resolution upon whether to act under a CFA will be taken following a risk assessment to make sure that the specific case is suitable for this type of funding.

A ‘success fee’ and any insurance premium will be paid by the client if their case if won and this payment would be made from the compensation. You will also be liable to pay the costs incurred in the case, but your solicitor will seek to recover these costs from your opponent, as the winner is normally given their legal costs against the loser.

In the event that a tenant lost the case, the Law firm will not be paid for the work they have done on the case. You may be able to get what is known as ‘after the event’ insurance to cover the risk of you having to pay your opponent’s costs in the event that you lose your case.

Legal Aid is available for disrepair cases but is subject to an assessment of the individual’s financial position. If you provide your solicitor with figures of your income and expenses, they will be able to do a preliminary assessment to let you know whether or not you are likely to be suitable for Legal Aid. However, legal aid funding only covers bringing a claim to make sure repairs are been carried out to your home, and does not include a claim for compensation. A compensation claim would need to be funded separately if you also wish to pursue a compensation claim

Private funding – most solicitors be able to advise you about our private rates and outline the work we will carry out if you decide to instruct us on this basis.

What is penetrating damp?

Damp happens when the housing disrepair in the structure of the building permits water to penetrate the building from the outside. The root cause of penetrating damp is usually structural problems in the building such as faulty guttering or roofing which your landlord/freeholder is usually responsible for maintaining.

Are there things you cannot bring a housing disrepair claim for?

You can only bring a disrepair claim for damage to your home when that destruction has been caused by disrepair. If the problem emanates from an inherent defect in the property which is not caused by disrepair, then it is not something you can raise a housing disrepair claim. Nevertheless, you may be able to bring a claim under The Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018.

What is condensation based damp?

This is a condition where the dampness in your home is not caused by water penetrating from outside but arises due to the settings in your home. This may be due to improper or a lack of ventilation or poor design. Disrepair is not a cause of condensation dampness, and would not form part of a claim for disrepair. However, it may be possible to bring a claim under The Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018.

What is the meaning of the term “fitness for habitation”?

The Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018 came into force on 20 March 2019. The Act applies to new tenancies, of less than 7 years, granted on or after 20 March 2019 (but will apply to all such tenancies after 20 March 2020). The Act requires that a property that is rented is: (a) Fit for human habitation at the time the lease is granted or otherwise created or, if later, at the beginning of the term of the lease, and (b) Will remain fit for human habitation during the term of the lease. In considering whether or not a home is unfit for human habitation, the following will be considered: repair, stability, freedom from damp, internal arrangement, natural lighting, ventilation, water supply, drainage and sanitary conveniences, facilities for preparation and cooking of food and for the disposal of waste water; in relation to a dwelling in England, any prescribed hazard; A house will be considered to be unfit for human habitation if one of more of the above apply and it is not reasonable for someone to occupy the house in the condition that it is in.

What is housing disrepair?

Housing disrepair is a condition whereby a rented property is not structural safe and suitable of a tenants to inhabit and needs to be fixed by the landlord as required by law. The failure of your landlord to maintain the structure and exterior of the property can cause water damage, a faulty boiler or structural problems.

What are some of the effects of housing disrepair?

Damages caused by negligence of disrepair of property can have a negative impact on your health and cause damage to your personal belongings, which could lead to financial loss as well as having the possibility of affecting your mental wellbeing.

What are the pre-action protocols for housing disrepair.

A special procedure called the Pre-Action Protocol for Housing Disrepair Cases – the ‘Disrepair Protocol’ must follow before taking court action.

You might end up paying you landlord the money they have spent going to court and your claims rejected if you don’t follow the Disrepair Protocol. Following the Disrepair Protocol shows the court that you’ve tried to sort out the problem with your landlord before going to court.

The Disrepair Protocol aims to encourage tenants and their landlords to resolve the problem without having to go to court. It sets out detailed actions and timetables that must be followed from when a claim is started.

The Disrepair Protocol recommends that you and your landlord should contemplate some form of alternative dispute resolution (ADR) before going to court, such as mediation.

The Disrepair Protocol does not apply to counterclaims. For example, if your landlord takes ownership proceedings against you for rent arrears and you defend the claim by asking the court to ‘set off’ your right to compensation for the counterclaim against any arrears.

Posted on: Thu Mar 18 | 7:29 AM by: housing

What Housing Repair My Landlord Is Responsible For?

Your Landlord is responsible for most of your home repair needs. Whether it is included in your tenancy agreement or not, your landlord is usually liable for fixing most damages. Tenants also have responsibilities if any damage is caused by them or their family members. For rented apartments, housing repairs include both the interior and exterior structures whether minor or major damages.


These responsibilities may include:

  • The outdoor repairs including the foundation of the house.
  • Drainage, and external pipes.
  • Windows, doors, vents, chimneys, unsafe stirs, entrance, roofs, lifts.
  • General rewiring and electrical installations.

start a claim

On the other hand, indoor repairs range from:

  • Internal plumbing.
  • Heating system. Too hot or too cold environment.
  • Normal wear and tear.
  • Appliances like boilers, refrigerators, Air conditioning units, etc.
  • Baths, Sinks, and walls.
  • Gas appliances etc.
  • Indoor and outdoor decorations.
  • Electrical faults.

After repairs, he is also responsible for any other renovations if needed. Any repairs that your landlord is responsible for cannot be passed to you. The landlord should be informed about any problems so they can make repairs on time. All repairs must be reported to him accordingly so that the extent of the damage can be contained. Responsibilities apply to all private landlords and housing associations. These repairs have a tenable timeline for completion and they must do what the tenancy agreement says.

Extralegal Responsibilities also include:

  • Waste disposal.
  • Water supply.
  • General upkeep.
  • Other shared facilities covering houses in multiple occupations (HMOs).
  • Any other necessary Adjustments.
  • Floods and leaks.
  • Addressing private nuisance.

This occurs when anything in other parts of the building with common boundaries owned by the landlord interferes with using your home or enjoying it. For instance leakages or damages that may affect your roof or flat causing damages to your close living space.

What is Housing disrepair?

  • Housing disrepair is when a rented apartment in a state of bad structural condition that may cause physical, mental, or health damages that needs repair.
  • If your landlord is aware of the problem but won’t repair them, this can certainly lead to housing disrepair. Housing disrepair may also occur when a landlord refuses to fix the damage that wasn’t caused by you, especially if it is entirely his responsibility.
  • Tenants can make a claim for compensation for any inconveniences caused as a result of the damages. The landlord can’t ignore his responsibilities as set out by the law.
  • Each repair agreement is backed by law therefore a tenant has the right to claim any reimbursement for discomfort. According to the defective premises Act of 1972, the duties of the landlord are to maintain the standard level of care and to avoid defects or injury in your home. He also has a right to access your apartment for work repairs. The right is owned by you and your family members especially if the landlord was already aware of the damages without reporting the problem to him.

Repairs Tenants Are Liable For

As a tenant, you are also responsible for maintaining the home. This is important because the apartment should be in good condition for others to inhabit when you leave. Sometimes your landlord can fix damages you cause but charge you for it by deducting from your rent. Other times you may be required to pay the fees immediately.

So be careful to look after your home by:

Checking your electrical appliances often.

  • Fixing furniture damaged by you or your family members.
  • Repairing blockages in drains and toilets.
  • Keeping your external environment clean for example, gardening.
  • Checking other safety routines like blowing out burning candles before you leave the house.
  • Avoiding any negligence and carelessness.
  • General Maintenance.
  • Avoiding any nuisance caused by crowding the apartment.
  • Providing access to contractors to get work done to avoid further serious damage.

When A Home Is Fit For Human Habitation

Damages can occur before, during, and after the start of your tenancy in an apartment. The landlord is susceptible to make sure the house is fit for people to live in. If the environment is unfit, your home isn’t safe to occupy and it is the responsibility of the landlord to make it suitable for you before moving in. Repairs should make living conditions conducive for residents.

An apartment is fit for people to live in when:

  • There is a good and safe water supply.
  • There are no problems with pests like bugs, cockroaches, rats, etc.
  • There are smoke dictators, alarms, and gas safety in the building.
  • There are adequate electrical installations.
  • There is no mold or dampness on the walls or ceilings of the property.

What To Do When You Notice a Damage In Your Rented Apartment

  • Reporting repairs is one of the terms and conditions in your tenancy agreement.

You need to have records of the extent of damage in the apartment to be able to take further action. You must contact the homeowner to ensure that he is aware of the situation. Include the level of repair you want and the expected time frame for it to be done. You may also remind them about their obligation to fix damages. Proofs must be provided to prompt a quick response from the landlords.

  • Take screenshots or pictures of minor or major repairs.
  • Send a note, letter, or message to your Landlord.
  • A report from a doctor showing any health hazard.

What Happens When Your Landlord Won’t Do Repairs?

What do you do when your landlord refuses to fix damages in your rented property? It is uncomfortable to live in an apartment with leakages and damages that pose a threat to your living conditions.

How To File A Disrepair Claim

When it comes to the state of your rental accommodation, you can make a case against your landlord. Tenants are protected by law even if they want to reclaim damages If you have had any bad housing experience in your rented apartment that may lead to any dangers but were not addressed by the landlord you can make a claim for it. You are entitled to certain privileges set out in your .tenancy agreement and backed up by law. Disrepair such as molds can be hazardous to your health and must therefore be considered an emergency. This type of harmful damage can be neglected by the landlord due to carelessness.

To know how to file a disrepair claim:

  • Your duty is to first report your concern to the landlord.
  • Know the extent of the damages caused.

There must be a piece of evidence showing a dangerous or harmful problem in the apartment. Make sure you keep a record of your medical bills, and other valid documents to support your claim. Store emails and other files that can 

  • Notify the landlord again.

As the claimant, if you notify the landlord and he still doesn’t fix the damage you must take further actions.

  • Contact your local authority: They can take action against any nuisance caused by the homeowner.
  • Contact a solicitor for advice: An experienced lawyer can help you with a written agreement that confirms your claims and swing into legal action. If you do the repair work yourself, you are still eligible to claim the funds spent on those repairs.

How To Claim Compensation From Your Landlord

You can take action against the landlord based on the severity of the damage. One way to do that is to check if there was carelessness on the part of the landlord. A solicitor will assist you in gathering proof if there was any neglect by the landlord. You may decide to wait until your tenancy ends before you claim compensation. You have up to 3 years from the day the repairs should have been done to claim personal harm. Compensations may include:

  • Compensation for your personal properties destroyed during repairs or as a result of leakages.
  • Replacing items that were destroyed.
  • Deduction or refund of rent.
  • Payment for a harm to your well-being.

Negligence and Nuisance Claims

Negligence can lead to personal injuries or defects. The court has every right to order your landlord to commence repair work during your tenancy. Regardless of your claims please note that you do not have the right to hold on to your rent because your landlord didn’t repair the damages. Your landlord can take major steps to force you out of the accommodation if you do.

  • No-Win-No-Fee Housing Disrepair.

No Win No Fee means any statutory services provided by a law firm to a claimant without paying legal fees until you win the case. In other words, you can make housing disrepair legal claims without paying anything upfront.

The implication is that you do not pay a fee if you do not recover anything in the case. Reach out to us today, to know if you’re eligible so we can help you make a claim regarding your housing disrepair. Housing disrepair claim solicitors are responsible for looking into and resolving such claims on your behalf. Our No win, no fee Housing disrepair claims solicitors are available for you to make your claim. We are a no-win-no-fee property damage solicitors.

  • Pay a percentage-based fee.

For FREE housing advice, call

Call Us 0800 999 7440

Best Housing Disrepair Attorneys

We can help you get the best housing disrepair solicitors for a claim against your Landlord. We have the best housing disrepair lawyers who can advise you on how to make your claim. Contact our housing disrepair helpline on 0800 999 7440 to start your claim today. To get a free claim assessment please visit us 

Posted on: Mon Mar 8 | 6:35 AM by: housing

Management of Housing Disrepair Problems

Housing disrepair constitutes a host of housing issues that range from broken or blocked drainage to broken heaters and radiators, collapsed ceilings and roof, molds and damp on the walls and floors, bug infestation, defective exterior finishes, dangerous stairs and bannisters, defective gas and pipe work, damaged doors, leaking sinks, pipes or showers, to name a few. 

When you rent a home, there’s an expectation that the property should provide peace and comfort to you but when disrepair of any sort comes into the picture, that becomes a problem. If your rented property has fallen into a state of disrepair – requiring essential repairs – it is a damage that needs to be put right. 


Who is responsible for housing disrepair problems?

Both tenants and landlords have an obligation to maintain a property and maintain its structure in a good state. Tenants are responsible for always paying their rent, cleaning a property, making reports to the landlord when necessary and doing small tasks like changing the lightbulb or a fuse. 

start a claim

The landlords carry a greater responsibility towards maintaining a property and keeping it safe and fit for use. Landlords are responsible for maintaining :

  • The structure and exterior of the property e.g the walls, roof, pipes, windows, foundations etc. 
  • Plumbing – this includes the sinks, toilets and bathrooms. 
  • Utilities – This covers water and gas, electrical wiring, heaters, radiators etc. Landlords are also responsible for the safety of their tenant by ensuring that the fire alarm, smoke detector  and carbon monoxide alarms are fitted in the required places. 

Under the law, your landlord or housing association is expected to ensure that:

  • Your house does not suffer from damp and mold. 
  • That your drainages are unclogged and clear. 
  • You have safe access to gas, water and electricity. 
  • Your home does not have a vermin or insect infestation problem. 
  • You have a good and functional heating system. 
  • Your house has good structures. 

If you encounter disrepair in your home, your landlord is responsible for the immediate repair of those faults and this is provided for under Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act (LTA) 1985. This section of the Landlord and Tenant Act is relevant to your level if you do not have a tenancy agreement. 

If your home is owned by a housing association, the responsibility is on the housing association to fix the disrepair. When you notice disrepair in your home, it is advised to contact your landlord/housing association and inform them either through phone calls, text messages or a letter. Your landlord is expected to fix the disrepairs as soon as they are reported but if after a reasonable period of time has refused to make those repairs, you can make a housing disrepair claim and take him to court . 

Additionally, if you are a housing association tenant and notice any disrepair, you are required to contact your housing association and follow their formal complaints procedure they have provided. When you are done with the complaints procedure, you will be required to wait for a period of 8 weeks. During this period, the housing association is expected to resolve your complaints for you and handle the disrepair. If it does not do that, you can then decide to bring a housing  disrepair claim against the housing association. Nobody should have to accept poor living conditions. The laws have directed that repairs are contractual and so any breach of contract gives the tenant the right to take legal action. 

What are housing disrepair claims?

Housing disrepair claims is a type of lawsuit where a tenant takes legal action against a landlord/housing association for failing/refusing to fix disrepairs on the rented property. Usually when a complaint is made for disrepair to be fixed, the landlords are generally expected to respond to the complaints within 20 days. If your landlord ignores your complaints after that time frame elapses, you can bring an action for  housing disrepair claims through any of our truly efficient housing disrepair solicitors . 

It is advised that you should send the complaints to your landlord/housing association either through emails or text messages as these would stand as proof of the time and date you made the complaint. You should also keep a record of important documents and receipts  that might help your case. 

If your home is owned by a housing association, you should keep a record of copies of all correspondence between you and the housing association when you make a disrepair complaint. You should also have pictures and video evidence of the problem, medical records, record of phone interactions and receipts for every expense incurred as a result of the disrepair. 

 Usually when you make the housing disrepair claims, landlords tend to hastily fix all the damages and disrepairs they had previously ignored. 

For FREE housing advice, call

Call Us 0800 999 7440

What am I entitled to for housing disrepair?

If you – on your own – decided to fix the disrepair and you have receipts to show that you have spent money on the repairs, you can get compensated for the money spent. If  you or your loved ones suffered injury as a result of the disrepair, keep the medical reports and copies of the medical bill and pictures as evidence to be submitted to a solicitor. 

Generally, when you make a housing disrepair claim, you are entitled to:

  • Household repairs – You are entitled to having your disrepair fixed by the landlord after you have laid a housing disrepair claim. If you have spent your money fixing the disrepair by yourself, with your receipt as evidence, you will be entitled to a refund. 
  • Compensation for pain, suffering and loss of  amenity – This is a blanket term that ensures you get compensation if you have suffered physically as a result of a disrepair. Any issues you might have faced on account of the housing disrepair which must have caused you inconvenience and distress are under the blanket term of “pain, suffering and loss of amenity”. This includes having to vacate the house if the level of disrepair warrants you to do that. 
  • Damage to personal property – If for example, there was a leak in the ceiling and while it rained overnight, the water pooled and your phone or laptop got wet and destroyed, you can make a claim for compensation on the basis of cost incurred in repairing or replacing your phone or laptop. 
  • Personal injury – If you or your loved ones have suffered an injury or illness  as a result of the disrepair  on your home, you can make a claim for compensation on the basis of injury suffered. Moldy walls, for instance, can cause allergies or aggravate existing respiratory illnesses like asthma. You can make a claim for personal injury for medical costs, aftercare, medication and pain and suffering.  

The amount of compensation you may be awarded is based on how long the disrepair matter lasts and how severe the issue might be and its impact on you and your household on a daily/regular basis. 

How to calculate compensation 

Usually, the compensation amount differs based on the severity of the disrepair and damage done. If for example you encounter heating issues for a whole year, you will calculate rent paid for that entire year and a percentage (for the compensation) of the rent paid is what will be awarded to you as compensation. i.e the value of your  rent for the whole period of the claim is £12,000 and compensation is set at 25%, you will be entitled to get £3000 as compensation. 

If the disrepair is a severe damp for a period of six months that also did damage to personal property, the percentage for compensation becomes more because you have to be compensated for loss of personal property I.e the value of your rent for the whole period is £6000 and the compensation is set at 40%, you will be entitled to get £2400. 

We can help!

If you are in the UK and your home has been in a state of disrepair and your landlord has refused to handle it, contact us and our No Win No Fee housing Disrepair solicitors will guide you through the entire process. 

Our No Win No Fee policy protects you completely as it requires you only pay us a certain percentage of your total compensation only when your claim succeeds. If the claim is unsuccessful, you will not be charged any fee by our No Win No Fee housing disrepair solicitors. We will work to make sure your landlord/housing association complies with their legal obligations and pays for compensation and also for the repairs to be done  as required by the court. 

If you want to make housing disrepair claims in London or Manchester, take advantage of our No Win No Fee policy and contact our housing disrepair solicitors today. We are always ready to help. 

Posted on: Wed Feb 10 | 10:02 AM by: housing

How Do Housing Disrepair Solicitors Help In Emergency?

Imagine there is a crisis or an urgent need of help because of a disrepair, all you need to do is contact a housing disrepair solicitor immediately.

Taking quick legal action against your landlord for housing disrepair may seem difficult but there is help available. With the legal assistance of housing disrepair claim solicitors, taking quick action on disrepair claims becomes easy.


What exactly is housing disrepair?

Housing disrepair means a rented property that is in need of repair in order for it to be safe and suitable for tenants to live in.

start a claim

If you are a tenant living in rented accommodation, your landlord is required by law to ensure:

  • That the house you live in is in a good state of repair structurally
  • That your house is free from damp and mould
  • That your drains and gutters are clear and working as they should be
  • That you have a working heating system
  • That you have safe access to electricity, gas and water
  • That you have working sanitation facilities i.e. toilet, basins, sinks, etc.
  • That your home is free from vermin or insect infestation

In a house where repairs or works are needed, if the landlord fails to carry out the work within a reasonable amount of time after the issues are reported by you, then this could be considered housing disrepair.

What repairs constitute housing disrepair?

Housing disrepair can include:

  • Damp
  •  Mould
  •  Condensation
  •  Leaks: mostly from roofs
  •  Missing or loose tiles
  •  Structural cracks
  •  Insect and rodent infestation
  •  Poor ventilation: Includes faulty air conditioners. 
  •  Boiler issues: Which could cause unavailability of running or hot water or heating.

Housing disrepair responsibility falls to the landlord whether you’re a social tenant living in either a housing association or council-owned properties, or a private tenant with a private landlord.

Nobody should have to accept poor living conditions. The Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation Act) means that repairs are now contractual and any breach of contract allows the tenant to take legal action.

When can I start my claim?

You can start court action to claim compensation during your tenancy or up to 6 years after it ends. Disrepair claims can be pursued for a number of reasons, whether you’ve injured yourself because of broken tiles, have developed breathing issues because of mould, or have been put at serious risk because of a boiler fault. If you’ve experienced landlord problems and  you are living in, or have lived in, a rented property that was in disrepair, you may be able to make a claim against your landlord.

If your rented  property falls into disrepair, sometimes, you may require a more urgent emergency repair. This is necessary because disrepairs in such instances may even lead to more distressing conditions for example life-threatening health issues and if not fixed. To start your claim during your tenancy, you can ask the court to order your landlord to carry out immediate repair works as it could be fatal to the health of you and your family. 

However, before you start a claim, you must have reported the faults/issues to your Landlord in order to take court action for compensation. For this reason you may prefer to start a repair only claim to enable urgent fix.

What can I claim for?

You can make a claim for compensation if repair problems in your rented property:

  • made you or someone in your property ill
  • damaged your belongings
  • caused you inconvenience
  • caused you harm or injury
  • caused you loss of finance

For FREE housing advice, call

Call Us 0800 999 7440

You can also claim compensation if you haven’t been able to use your property in the normal way because of repair problems. Our specialist housing disrepair solicitors are here to help you use your tenant’s rights to regain any financial loss and ensure your landlord is held accountable for their actions.

Landlord’s responsibilities

It is your legal right as a tenant to live in an apartment without damp, leaks, broken boiler, rodent infestation, broken window. So you really have no need to worry about how to claim compensation from your landlord. If you have reported any of these issues to your landlord, and they have not been fixed, you are eligible to claim for disrepair.

Your landlord is legally responsible to maintain your rented property by doing the following:

  • Replacing faulty or broken appliances such as circuit switch.
  • Repairing all water and gas leaks.
  • Ensuring that your home is free from damp and mould
  • Ensuring that boilers are working and meets safety standards.
  • Carrying out repairs.

Failure to meet these legal obligations means that your landlord is in breach of his duties which can put you or your household at risk in ways which includes:

  • Injuries such as cuts, bruises and fractures caused by falling due to poorly maintained floors.
  • Fatalities caused by electrical faults and gas leaks.
  • Aggravated health issues on your or other occupants of your home.
  • Respiratory issues such as asthma, difficulty in breathing and other breathing challenges caused by damp and mould.

It is necessary that you take immediate legal action and you can count on us at to help you.

Making an emergency disrepair claim

If you notice a damage in your rented property you should report it immediately to the landlord. In a situation in which the landlord fails to respond to your disrepair claims, please contact us so that we can advise you on the necessary steps to take on how to claim compensation from your landlord.

Any damage to your property that negatively impacts your  health, affects your mental state or leads to unplanned financial losses may be eligible for a claim. Whether its a faulty boiler, plumbing issues, issue with roof leaks or defective machines, bring your case to us.

We have a lot of experience in dealing with housing disrepair claims and will act on your behalf to get a positive outcome. Feel free to contact us on our housing disrepair helpline or fill out our form for a free assessment.

Housing disrepair solicitors in emergency disrepair situations 

A housing disrepair solicitor is a legal practitioner who specializes in providing advice and representation to tenants in relation to claiming compensation for poor standards of maintenance in homes or properties.

If your rented property has fallen into disrepair, you are entitled to have repairs carried out at your landlord’s cost. Most landlords will accept to pay your compensation and/or carry out the necessary repairs. Housing disrepair solicitors are not restricted to tenants in private rented property, they also assist social housing tenants who are in urgent need of professional assistance.

In cases where you are in urgent need of a disrepair there is no “short cut”, the following steps should be taken;

  • Informing your landlord about your disrepair claims and seek immediate repair
  • When such repair is not attended to, you should immediately contact a housing solicitor
  • The housing solicitor would quickly seek a claim for disrepair and would ensure that your disrepair claims are sorted immediately.

What is a No Win No Fee?

A no win, no fee agreement is a contractual agreement between a solicitor and client who is pursuing a civil claim. Usually the agreement is that if the client is not successful in pursuing their claim, then there are no legal fees for them to pay. With no win no fee, there are no hidden clauses and no hidden charges, everything is explained upfront. 

A no win no fee solicitors agreement, also known as a Conditional Fee Agreement (CFA), helps protect you from financial risk when making a claim. And our housing disrepair solicitors london offer no win no fee contract for your claims.

No Win No Fee Claims Process

  • First step – contact our no win no fee housing solicitors for an initial consultation.
  • Next we will obtain details about your housing disrepair claims.
  • Our no win no fee solicitors will ask you questions and obtain details from you of any losses or expenses you have incurred as a result of your housing disrepairs.
  • If you have a case, our no win no fee housing solicitors will talk you through the next steps.

Importance of hiring no win no fee solicitors

Generally, solicitors play an important role in our society by supporting, and giving voice to patients in need of urgent repairs. And  aside from their obvious skill and working conditions, no win no fee housing solicitors offer you lots of benefits when helping with your disrepair claims. 

With these solicitors on your side, you incur no extra financial burdens. A no win no fee housing solicitor will file for emergency housing disrepair claim on your behalf and with their experience and skill, will help you get settlement for your housing disrepair claims.

Contact no win no fee solicitors for property damage or any other disrepair issues immediately a disrepair is noticed. Make your mind up today!!!

Posted on: Thu Jan 21 | 12:55 PM by: housing

How To Claim Compensation for Disrepair in Social Housing?

Living in rented property that has fallen into disrepair could pose hazardous and life-threatening harm to normal living. What is even worse is when your landlord has refused to or is feeling unconcerned about your complaints. In situations like this, tenants are often eligible to file housing disrepair claims against their landlords. 

If your landlord has failed to repair faults in your home, you may find that your home soon becomes damaged and unfit for living. All landlords have a legal obligation to maintain the structure (whether exterior or interior) of their property to a reasonable standard of repair.


What is social housing?

Social housing refers to affordable housing plan accommodation made available to people with low incomes or particular needs. This type of housing plan is otherwise known as council housing properties and most of the accommodation/houses are usually owned by the state, or by non-profit organisations.

start a claim

What is Social Housing disrepair? 

Social Housing disrepair is when a property under the social housing plan/ council housing falls below the current minimum standard of what is considered a habitable home fit for living. In clearer terms, social housing disrepair can simply mean when a social housing property is in need of essential repairs. 

In the UK, before a Housing Association property or property under social housing can be considered up to standard and deemed fit and habitable, it must comply with the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS). The HHSRS is a risk assessment system or evaluation tool that aids the government in identifying and tackling potential risks and hazards to health that are most likely present in housing properties. This is in a bid to make dwellings healthier and more safer to live in.

Housing disrepair compensation claim 

It can be very distressing living in a house with so much disrepair as the quality of your life could be greatly affected. It is your landlord’s obligation (required by law) to: 

  • Ensure that the structure and exterior of the house, including drains, gutters and external pipes are in good condition.
  • Ensure that installations are kept in repair and working properly including sanitation facilities (toilet, sinks, basins)
  • Ensure your house is free from damp and mould
  • Ensure you have a working heating system
  • Ensure you have safe access to electricity, gas and water
  • Ensure your home is free from insect infestation

If your rented home has suddenly become unsafe and unsuitable for living due to disrepair, you can claim housing disrepair compensation. Whether you’re living in a privately owned property or you are a social tenant living in a housing association ( state or council-owned property), you can claim compensation for housing disrepair.

However, you can’t claim for housing disrepair if it cannot be proven that your landlord acted negligently or breached the duty of care and caused you a reasonable degree of suffering. For example, you must have reported the disrepair to your landlord and given him ample time to make these repairs. If your landlord fails to carry out the necessary repairs; this could be considered housing.

To start a social housing disrepair claim:

Wondering how to claim compensation from your landlord in social housing? It is important to seek the help of some of the best housing disrepair solicitors in UK. These legal experts are experienced in making disrepair claims and will act on your behalf and contact your housing association with regards to the housing association disrepair. 

First, you would need to present evidence that your landlord is aware of the disrepair and has chosen to ignore you. Also, evidences such as photographs or receipts showing the cost of repairs you have undertaken personally or cost of purchase of items you replaced due to your landlords failure to fix repair will also be collated.

Having investigated your case, our No Win No Fee housing disrepair claims solicitors will weave all evidence together to develop a strong claim and ensure that the repairs are carried out and compensation recovered. 

Who is responsible for Social Housing disrepairs?

Housing Associations, housing trusts, including all landlords under social housing associations are responsible for Social Housing disrepairs. If your home rented from a social housing landlord falls into a state of disrepair, your landlord owe you the duty of making sure your property is in an acceptable shape.

What can I claim for Social Housing disrepair?

Disrepairs in social housing can lead to damaging consequences. If you have suffered due to failure on the path of your landlord, generally, you can recover compensation for the following;

  • Damage to belongings – If your disrepair has caused damage to some of your personal belongings, you can recover this damage in your claim for compensation. For example, if an electric fault has destroyed your appliances or mould has affected your clothing and bedding, compensation for such damage may mean the cost of repairing or replacing your belongings. 
  • Personal injury – If you have suffered ill health due to disrepair, or anyone who is living in the property, you may be entitled to a claim for personal injury compensation. In the case, the amount of compensation you receive  depend on the impact and severity of your illness or injury and how long your recovery will take. All your financial losses will be recovered for both medical expenses or loss of earnings.
  • Other form of inconveniences you must have faced as a result of your disrepair can also be compensated for. For example, compensation for mould and damp that have made it impossible for you to sleep on your room could be partial rebate of your rent for that period you suffered disrepair. 

Ultimately your compensation amount, depends on the severity of the disrepair you suffered, the level of impact on your life and how long you had to put up with the disrepair.

Can I claim compensation for mould and damp in my social housing property? 

Yes, not only can you claim compensation for mould and damp, you can claim compensation for much more. 

If your landlord has repeatedly acted negligently, breaching that duty of care he owes you as a tenant, causing you one form of suffering or the other, you may be eligible to a claim compensation for housing disrepair.  Usually when it comes to housing association disrepair claims, you could claim compensation for any of the issues below;

  • Insect infestation
  • Damps and mould
  • Defective heating system 
  • Non-functional boiler
  • Unsafe flooring with loose tiles 
  • Unsafe staircases
  • Broken doors
  • Defective windows
  • Leaking pipes 
  • Cracked sanitation equipment
  • Faulty electric connections
  • Leaks from bathrooms, kitchens, roofs, doors, windows, radiators or pipework
  • Defective roofing 
  • Blocked drains
  • Broken sinks 

How we can help

It can be quite tricky understanding housing disrepair claims, what you are entitled to or who is responsible for certain issues or repairs in your home. Usually, a tenancy agreement outlines the responsibilities of both party (landlord and tenant), but it’s not as straightforward as it may seem. 

If you are not sure of your eligibility, we can help. Reach out to us on our housing disrepair helpline today and one of our housing disrepair claims solicitors will be on hand to offer you free legal advice and determine whether or not you have a valid claim.


Our No Win No Fee solicitors for property damage are highly experienced in helping people make claims against local councils and housing associations. When you contact us, you will be guided every step of the way with expert legal advice and support.

For FREE housing advice, call

Call Us 0800 999 7440

No Win No Fee housing disrepair claims 

A conditional agreement (No Win No Fee agreement) is an excellent choice if you are looking to claim compensation without having to worry about the financial implications. Our housing disrepair claims solicitors offer you expert legal services on a No Win No Fee basis. 

You will not be charged any legal fee by our experts until your claim is successful and you have been duly compensated. Generally after a successful claim, you will be required to pay a certain percentage of your total compensation award to cover the cost of hiring our specialist. 

Contact Us

  • If your landlord has repeatedly ignored your concerns
  • If you have suffered problems due to negligence 
  • If anyone living in your property has suffered personal injury due to disrepair 

Our No Win No Fee housing solicitors can help you make a claim for housing association disrepair. Don’t let your rights as a social tenant be trampled upon by your landlord. We will ensure that your housing disrepair claim is dealt with adequately and compensation recovered.

Posted on: Mon Nov 30 | 12:06 PM by: housing

What Action Should be Taken if Your Landlord Doesn’t Make Repairs?

Landlords are primarily responsible for keeping the structure and exterior of a rented property in a good state of repair and ensure all systems are working properly. Any tenancy agreement you sign will usually have a section where your landlord’s responsibilities are explained. If your rented property is in poor condition and your landlord is refusing to do vital repairs that puts you in harm’s way, you can make housing disrepair claims against your landlord.


Vital repairs are those that impact your quality of life and can expose you to health problems and make your home insecure. For instance, if the lock of your front door has a problem or your gas central heating system fails to function, or there is excessive damp, your home becomes unsafe for you to live in and it is the responsibility of your landlord to fix the damage.

Here are some of the actions you can take if your landlord has refused to make necessary repairs:

start a claim

Gather Records and Evidence of the Disrepair

You should keep records and evidence of the disrepair. This will be helpful in your pursuit of a solution. Take photos of the repair problem as well as damage to your belongings and send them to your landlord. Photo evidence is the best way to communicate with your landlord especially if you have complained verbally and he has failed to take action.

If the housing disrepair is putting your life in danger and your landlord has refused to fix them, then you may reach out to the authorities. It is your landlord’s responsibility to ensure gas, electric and other appliance installations are functioning the way they should. Before escalating the matter, however, you may need to chase them again.

Chase Your Landlord

A landlord can only be held responsible for housing disrepair when they know about it; so, the first step is to inform your landlord exactly what repairs you need in writing and how this is affecting your quality of life. Do this by letter or email so you can refer to them later on.

When you write your landlord, remind them of their responsibility to carry out repairs, suggest dates they could do the repairs and let them know the quality of repair you would consider acceptable. After writing, it is important to allow a reasonable amount of time for your landlord to get the repairs done, as they may need to get quotes and make arrangements for the repairs. The deadline for this is 21 days from when your landlord receives your correspondence.

If the housing disrepair is minor and wouldn’t cost too much to fix, you can pay for them to be done. When you do this, keep all quotes and receipts of the payments you made so you can ask that your landlord take them off your monthly rent.

Inform your landlord of your intentions to contact the local council

If your landlord still fails to do the repairs or does not respond at all, write to them again and inform them about your intentions to contact your local authority so they can come to inspect your home. This may be just enough to get your landlord to take action; this is because once the local authorities come around, they will not only look out for the problems you reported but other housing disrepair issues you may not have noticed.

Request help from your local council authority

Under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System, your local council can inspect your home to ensure it is safe for you to live in. If the inspection is done and they discover too many issues, they will give your landlord a deadline to carry out necessary repairs. If your landlord fails to comply, your local council can plan on taking landlord to court.

If communication between you and your landlord has broken down, your local council may also be able to make negotiations on your behalf. Keep in mind that your local council may not be able to help if they do not think your health is in danger. In this case, you can reach out to a local advice center (Citizens Advice) or your local housing charity (e.g. Shelter).

Take Legal Action

Taking legal action should be your last resort if you have exhausted all available options and your landlord still refuses to carry out repairs. If you decide to take legal action against you landlord, you can order them to do the repairs and pay compensation for damages incurred.

How to Claim Compensation from Your Landlord

If your rented property is in a state of disrepair and your landlord continues to ignore the problem, you may be able to make a compensation claim for disrepair. You can claim compensation for the inconvenience you have endured, property damage due to the disrepair, injuries suffered, and loss of income if the housing disrepair affected your ability to work.

When making housing disrepair claims against your landlord, you will need the support of experienced disrepair solicitors to enhance your chances of receiving the compensation you deserve and cover the cost of the hardship you endured as a result of your landlord’s negligence.

However, before contacting solicitors that deal with housing issues in London and other parts of the UK, you will need to gather supporting evidence for your claim. Evidence gathering was discussed at the outset of this article.

When it comes to making housing disrepair claims, it is very important that you prove that your landlord has acted negligently. Your landlord can be considered negligent if they have refused to comply with the standards set by the Landlord and Tenants Act of 1985. If they have breached their duty as outlined in this act, you may be able to pursue a claim for disrepair.

For FREE housing advice, call

Call Us 0800 999 7440

What Can I Claim Against My Landlord?

You can make claims for a range of damages, including:

  •         General damages

 This is compensation for intangible damages such as the emotional suffering you endured as a result of your landlord’s negligence. It compensates for the long-term pain your landlord’s actions has had on your life as well as any loss of reputation you may suffer.

  •         Special damages

This compensates for the loss of earnings due to the negligence of your landlord. If you have suffered an injury as a result of your landlord’s continued refusal to do repairs, you may claim compensation for the medical expenses and travel costs associated with your care.

The Housing Disrepair Law is on Your Side

If you have found yourself in a situation where your landlord has ignored calls for repairs on your rented property, it is worth noting that the law protects you. In the past, landlord obligations under the law were vague and difficult to prove, but this is no longer the case. Tenants deserve to live in a safe and secure space and where appropriate measures are not taken to ensure the rented property remains habitable, compensation claims can be made.

No Win No Fee Housing Disrepair Claims

If you are considering pursuing a claim for disrepair against your landlord, funding may prove to be a challenge. At, we work with a panel of specialist housing disrepair solicitors who will discuss the details of your case and determine if you have a reasonable chance of a successful claim. If we believe you have a claim, we will offer a No Win No Fee agreement to shoulder the costs of making a claim on your behalf.

Under the No Win No Fee arrangement, you do not have to pay any upfront solicitor fees and we guarantee that we will do our best to secure the compensation you deserve.

Why Choose Us?

If you decide to make a claim for disrepair against your landlord, you will need the support of a reliable solicitor to provide you with expert insight and reduce the financial risk of pursuing a claim. With our knowledge and experience in dealing with compensation claims against landlords, you can count on us to give you the support you need to make a claim. We prioritise the well-being of our clients – and will be happy to help you get your life back on track.

Call us today on 0800 999 7440 for a free, no obligation advice on your potential claim.


Contact us Now

[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]


    Please check your details before you submit this form. By submitting your details you confirm your agreement to our privacy policy

    Office Address :

    Unit 2, Connect Business Village, 24 Derby Road, Liverpool, L5 9PR