If your landlord wants you to leave - Housing Disrepair Claim

Residents Furious After Council Estate Puts Up Sign Shaming Tenants For Unpaid Rent

Posted on: Mon Apr 25 | 10:19 AM by: housing

Residents living in a southeast London estate have been angered by a sign put up by the council where it says it will not carry out extra repairs due to overdue rents. The sign was erected to a wall on the Neckinger Estate in Bermondsey, Southwark and reads: “If this rent was paid, think what extra repairs the council could carry out.”

Up Sign Shaming Tenants

Taking to twitter, a local resident voiced out how angry the message had made the tenants. The tweet reads; “Repairs and keeping homes in repair is your duty and responsibility as a landlord. As a social landlord, the council should be supporting not shaming tenants who cannot pay their rent.”

Other persons also gave their view about the sign saying that it was aggressive and such ways aren’t the best approach to get people to pay unpaid rent and that it was the duty of the council to carry out repairs irrespective of the overdue rent. One person wrote; “Perhaps someone should stick a note on the note saying ‘if the council stopped wasting time putting up these pointless notices perhaps, they might have time to do the repairs on estates that they have a duty to do and yet fail’.”

Someone even said that he always takes down the aggressive notices from the council as it is not the way to get people to pay their rent.

Previously, Southwark Council paid out over £8,840,000 in compensation between 2017 and 2021 to residents after successful disrepair claims against the council. However, it has said it didn’t put up this particular sign.

The council said that the sign has been there for the “best part of 20 years”. A spokesperson also added that the sign was an unofficial note and was there before 2004.

The Southwark Council did not however say if it will remove the sign or provide more insight about why it was put up in the first place. The sign is still on the estate as at the time of writing this article.


How To Claim Compensation From Your Landlord?

If your landlord or local council has failed in their responsibility to carry out the needed repairs in your home, you have the backing of the law to take legal actions.

Here is what you have to note about making compensation claims.

  • Before coming to make claims, you should have written to your landlord severally about the disrepair, attaching pictures or images of the disrepair.
  • The disrepair must have caused you to suffer damages. Compensation can only be paid if harm has been caused. Therefore, if you have suffered distress and inconvenience or personal injury or damage to your belongings or financial losses as a result of the disrepair, then you may be entitled to a compensation award.

Also note that your compensation is not fixed but depends on the severity of the disrepair, how long and how much you have suffered as a result. Most often, your compensation will be between 20% and 50% of your rent for the time you have had to suffer the disrepair.

Best Housing Disrepair Solicitors

Having represented and secured best possible compensation amounts for various clients over the years as well as seeing that the needed repairs are done, we are pleased to tell you we have one of the best success records when it comes to housing disrepair claims. We offer you both a No Win No Fee opportunity to make your claims as well as a free consultation session to have a chat with us. You see that you can make your claims without having to make upfront payments.

Reach out to us today and let one of our expert solicitors speak with you as we look to get you a deserved compensation and put an end to your housing troubles.

For FREE housing advice, call

Call Us 0800 999 7440


    Please check your details before you submit this form. By submitting your details you confirm your agreement to our privacy policy

    Office Address :

    Unit 2, Connect Business Village, 24 Derby Road, Liverpool, L5 9PR