Landlord Mould Responsibility – Housing Disrepair Claim

Landlord Maintenance Responsibilities For Damp and Mould

Posted on: Tue Aug 10 | 7:21 AM by: housing

What To Know About Housing Disrepair?

Housing Disrepair occurs when a rented apartment is unsafe to live in as a result of damages from lack of repair. The apartment you live in must be of good standard and free from all health risks. Housing disrepair can cause tenants a lot of inconveniences.


Sometimes due to Landlord’s negligence the structure of the building can be affected which can cause discomfort or injury to the occupants. If you live in a rented accommodation it is the duty of your landlord as required by law to repair  any structural damage including damp and mould.

What Is Increasing Damp And Mould?

A damp is caused by too much moisture that retains water in the building, causing black moulds to form on the walls of the apartment. Damps are classified into three main parts, including rising damp, penetrating damp and condensation. 

Rising damp conditions can be detrimental to the health of the occupants especially if it is not repaired immediately. Damps are very rampant in most UK houses.

Damps happens when:

  • There is accumulation of warm moist air or lack of ventilation. Steams can accumulate to form damps if there is no provision for outdoor air to get in. Moist air can come from cooking, hot baths and colder rooms. It can affect walls, furniture, brickworks or even your basement. 
  • Usage By Tenants. This kind of damp issue may arise due to the lifestyle of the tenants in the apartment which may sometimes be their fault and not the landlord’s.
  • Roof Tiles Are Broken.
    Broken roof tiles can cause water to be absorbed, penetrating into walls and other areas in the house.
  • There Are Broken Pipes or leakages and No Guttering where water gets through. 

Effects of Mould and how to deal with It

Mould is a fungi that poses a health risk such as infection, allergies and other injuries. It rises when the humidity in the atmosphere is high. The difference in temperature can sometimes cause Mould to appear in parts of the building. 

When water soaks up, it triggers the growth of mould. Report issue immediately to have it treated to avoid spread to other parts of the building.

  • Health Risk.
    It can be harmful to tenants. Moulds must be removed immediately to avoid further spread and health risk. Mould exposure can lead to various respiratory problems, infections & other allergies as studies have shown.
  • Discoloration of walls and bad smell. Moulds can deface your property unless it is properly cleaned out. A replaster and other renovations may be required. 
  • Reduces property value. Damps and moulds can reduce the value of your property by thousands. If a landlord is looking to get more value for their property then they must invest in getting an expert to correct the problem.

Landlord Maintenance Responsibilities For Damp and Mould

Do you know that treating damp issues in your property is a compulsory repair? Your home must be safe to live in and your landlord is responsible for maintaining the damp and mould in your rented property. 

If a damp problem is not addressed on time, it may result to mould which can affect your health. Sometimes it may be difficult to identify the root cause of damp problems especially if it is caused by careless usage by the tenants.

Your landlord’s duty is to ensure your property is free from any disrepair issues like damps and Moulds. These responsibilities are backed by legal obligations that state the landlord’s Maintenance responsibilities For Damp and Mould. 

  • Fix broken roof tiles.
  • Repair Holes and cracks in the building.
  • Open gutters and drainage.
  • Treat Rust and cavities.
  • Address Plumbing, leaking & sweating pipes.
  • Fix Faulty gaskets and outdoor insulation.
  • Replace valves and rubber seals.
  • Correct water risks. Stop water from entering the apartment.
  • Repair a bad heating system.
  • Fix Peeling walls and ceilings.
  • Renovate flaking walls.
  • The landlord must ensure there is good ventilation in the apartment.
  • Ensure correct diagnosis of the problem caused by rising damp and penetrating damp conditions.

For FREE housing advice, call

Call Us 0800 999 7440

Does The Landlord And Tenant Act Of 1985 affect damp?

It is the responsibility of the landlord to ensure measures are put in place to correct damp and Mould issues. These obligations for repair are highlighted in section 11 of the landlord and tenant Act of 1985. 

  • It states that all structures must be kept in good working condition. So damps are also exterior issues that affect the entire structure of the building. When not treated and it forms moulds, then it is an issue with the structure as well and can cause health problems to the occupants.
  • According to the 2004 housing act, the external structures of an apartment include The roof, doors, walls & windows outside the building etc.

How To Claim Compensation From Your Landlord?

A tenant can claim for housing disrepair and even sue their landlord for poor living conditions. Depending on the severity of the problem a compensation can be given to you. Housing disrepair problems are unique to every tenant depending on the result of injury caused. 

If your landlord has failed to repair damps and it has resulted to Mould issues that poses a threat to your health there are several ways to make a claim.

  • Discomfort.
    You may be eligible for compensation for housing disrepair if the damage caused inconveniences for you and your family members. You Landlord may be liable for all inconveniences caused by negligence on his part. A standard living condition should not cause any discomfort to inhabitants.
  • Damage To Personal Property.
    If it causes damage to your personal belongings like furniture in the apartment then you can take legal action after reporting the problem to your landlord or local council. If the landlord is aware of Mould or damps but is reluctant to treat it as an emergency then you can seek advice from an expert solicitor here
  • Personal Health Risk. If it affects your physical, mental health then you can make a claim. With a written report from a health practitioner, a tenant can make a  claim against a landlord.


What Is A No Win No Fee Housing Disrepair Claim?

A no win no fee housing disrepair claim is a legal service where the claimant is not required to pay upfront for a case. You can claim housing disrepair caused by damps and moulds.

At housing disrepair claim we offer a no win no fee housing disrepair claim. Our no win no fee solicitors property damage can help you get compensation for your housing disrepair claims. We can give you a free claim assessment when you call our helpline today 0800 9997 440


Who Can Help With My Housing Disrepair Claims?

Professional solicitors can fight for you if there is any negligence on the part of the landlord or housing association in your locality. We can help you claim for the compensation and justice you deserve.

Find The best housing disrepair solicitors, call our housing disrepair helpline today  0800 9997 440.

We are a no win no fee housing disrepair claims solicitors available to work you through the process by providing the legal support you need.

What is a housing disrepair claim?

Housing disrepair claims have to do with legal action taken by a tenant against a landlord for failure to repair damages. At we give you the best advice on how to lay your claim.

Can I sue my landlord for unsafe living conditions?

YES, especially if your landlord is aware of the problem. Neglect can cause harm to your wellbeing so be sure to report the issue to him again or call our friendly solicitors for the best advice 0800 9997 440.

Can I get compensation for Mould issues in my rented property?

Yes, our experienced housing disrepair solicitors can help you make a claim.

What Is A No Win No Fee Housing Disrepair Claim?

A no win no fee housing disrepair claim is when you are not required to pay a fee until you win the case.

Does my insurance cover damp?

Maintenance issues may not be covered in Landlord insurance.


    Please check your details before you submit this form. By submitting your details you confirm your agreement to our privacy policy

    Office Address :

    Unit 2, Connect Business Village, 24 Derby Road, Liverpool, L5 9PR