Landlord & Tenant Solicitors in Manchester

How Solicitors Help Tenants with Compensation Claims in Manchester

Posted on: Thu Aug 19 | 11:57 AM by: housing

Every tenant across the country has the right to live in a property that is fit for human habitation. This means that the property must be in a good state of repair, and free from anything that could cause harm to the tenant. If your landlord has failed to fulfill their responsibility to maintain the structure of your home and ensure you are safe and comfortable, you may be entitled to a claim for disrepair.


We work with a panel of specialist housing solicitors Manchester who have successfully managed disrepair claims on behalf of tenants. Our disrepair claims solicitors regularly advise tenants of their rights and have built a reputation for delivering practical and comprehensive resolutions for tenants in Manchester. You do not have to put up with your landlord’s failings; our housing disrepair solicitors will help you understand your rights.

Let us discuss some of your rights when it comes to your tenancy, disrepair problems, and landlord-tenant disputes.

Setting Up a Tenancy

Under the UK housing law, there are certain statutory obligations that landlords must comply with. Some of these include:

  • Gas safety
    It is the duty of a private landlord to ensure that gas installations are safe and the gas safety certificate is renewed every 12 months. They must keep copies of the certificate and inspection report, as well as records of any works carried out.
  • Property inspection
    According to Section 11 of the Landlord & Tenant Act 1985, landlords are under obligation to perform comprehensive repairs, inspect their properties and keep records of any inspections done before renting out the property. Landlords must perform any necessary repairs before tenants move in.
  • Tenancy agreements
    The importance of a tenancy agreement cannot be overemphasized. Landlords must realize that the tenancy agreement is a legally binding contract and sets out what is expected of landlords and tenants.

Housing Disrepair Problems

Landlords must comply with their repairing obligations. Under Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act, landlords are under obligation to keep the following in repair:

  • The structure and integrity of the property, including the foundations, walls, windows, and drains.
  • Gas and water pipes, boilers, electrical wiring, radiators and fitted heaters.
  • Baths, sinks, basins, and toilets.A landlord who fails to meet these legal obligations is in breach of his or her duty to repair their property, which can put tenants at risk in any of the following ways:
  • Fatalities due to electrical problems or gas leaks
  • Respiratory conditions like asthma caused by damp and mould
  • Injuries due to poorly maintained walls and floors.

If you or a loved one has suffered any health issues as a result of the rented property’s poor state of repair, seek legal advice as soon as possible. Our housing disrepair claims solicitors will guide you on how to claim compensation from your landlord and walk you through the claims process.

How to Handle Housing Disrepair Problems in your Rented Property

If there is a problem in your rented property, you need to notify your landlord as soon as possible.

  • Notify your landlord in writing via a letter or email so that there is a record that you have reported the disrepair problem and the date of this report.
  • Give your landlord a minimum of 21 days to respond to your notification.
  • If they respond, give them a reasonable amount of time to perform the required repair works on your rented property.

If your landlord has failed to respond to your notice of disrepair, do not hesitate to contact us so that our housing disrepair solicitors can advise you on what you need to do to secure a positive outcome.

Making Housing Disrepair Claims

If your rented property has fallen into a state of disrepair through no fault of your own, it can be a source of concern, especially when it puts your health at risk. The panel of specialist housing disrepair claims Manchester solicitors can act on your behalf to make a claim against your landlord to obtain the financial compensation which you deserve.

Our specialist solicitors can help you make compensation claims for:

  • Property damage If your clothing, curtains or bedding have been damaged by damp or mould, or your furniture has been destroyed as a result of water leaks from burst pipes that your landlord has failed to fix, we can help you sue landlord for mold UK and make a claim for compensation. Disrepair claims by tenants can also be done if the rented property is damaged while repair work is being carried out.
  • Health problems have you suffered health problems as a result of the poor state of repair in your rented property? Armed with the facts of your case, our specialist solicitors will help you build a robust case to demonstrate the link between the disrepair and the health problem you suffered. This is known as causation.
    The housing disrepair problem does not have to be the singular cause of the health problem you suffered, but must be a contributing factor. Our solicitors will provide the legal advice and support you need to make a successful personal injury claim.
  • Inconvenience and abatement Have you been unable to use part or all of your rented home as a result of disrepair? You may be entitled to a reduction or refund of your rent. This is known as an abatement.
    The value of the rent abatement will depend on how much of your home was in a poor state of repair and uninhabitable. If all of the houses are uninhabitable, then you may be entitled to 100% abatement. Depending on your situation, you may also be able to pursue a claim for disrepair for the inconvenience you have suffered.

What Can I Do Next if I Want to Sue My Landlord?

In addition to notifying your landlord about the disrepair and allowing a minimum of 21 days for him or her to carry out repair works, here are a few things to keep in mind:

  • Take photographs of parts of the house affected by the disrepair problem;
  • Keep records of all correspondences, including text messages, emails and letters to your landlord, as well as the dates of any correspondence and responses;
  • If the housing disrepair has caused you health problems, ensure you keep notes from the GP;
  • If at any point you feel forced to make the repairs yourself, ensure you keep the receipts as proof;
  • Contact us as soon as possible if you do not get any response from your landlord.


Will My Landlord Take Action Against Me For Making a Claim?

It is illegal for your landlord to attempt to evict you from their property simply because you are asking for repairs to be done. We understand that making a claim against your landlord because of the poor state of repair of your rented home can be daunting. Keep in mind that you have certain rights as a tenant; when you sign a tenancy agreement, your landlord agrees to keep the property in good order and ensure the required repairs are done in a timely manner.

As a tenant, you should not withhold rental payments while pursuing housing disrepair claims, as this could give your landlord legal grounds to commence eviction proceedings against you for non-payment of your rent. Your landlord must also follow specific procedures if they wish to increase the rent and when they plan to do so.

If your landlord attempts to make you feel intimidated as a result of the housing disrepair claim you are making against him or her, let us know so our solicitors can help you approach the situation in the best way possible. You can rest assured our specialist solicitors will always prioritize your best interests as a tenant and protect you from mistreatment by your landlord.

No Win No Fee Housing Disrepair Claims

A No Win No Fee agreement is a simple way of ensuring you do not suffer any further financial burden if you need to take legal action for housing association disrepair or disrepair against your private landlord or local authority. We work with No Win No Fee housing claim solicitors who are particularly experienced in handling different types of disrepair claims.

Our No Win No Fee housing solicitors understand how distressing it can be to live in a house that is unfit for purpose. For parents with children, the family can be easily exposed to a health risk, and cause significant stress and anxiety. Whether your landlord is a local council or housing association, our No Win No Fee solicitors property damage can make a claim on your behalf if they ignore your notice to fulfill their repair obligations.

For FREE housing advice, call

Call Us 0800 999 7440

How We Can Help

We believe that every victim of housing disrepair has the right to seek justice. When you contact us, we will arrange for a free, no obligation consultation with one of our No Win No Fee housing disrepair solicitors. Fill our free claims assessment form or contact us today on 0800 999 7440 to find out how our friendly housing disrepair claims solicitors can help.


    Please check your details before you submit this form. By submitting your details you confirm your agreement to our privacy policy

    Office Address :

    Unit 2, Connect Business Village, 24 Derby Road, Liverpool, L5 9PR