Proving Housing Disrepair Claims - Housing Disrepair Claim

How Can a Disrepair Claim Be Established?

Posted on: Thu Sep 23 | 5:14 AM by: housing

When you make a claim for housing disrepair, you are effectively taking back control of your rented property and ensuring you get your landlord to make the necessary repair and maintenance works. It is the legal duty of your landlord to ensure your home is in good living condition; this means that if any part of the interior or exterior suffers damage, they will make sure necessary repairs are done. If your landlord has failed to uphold their legal responsibility towards you as a tenant, our No Win No Fee housing disrepair solicitors can help you make a claim.


We understand that the housing disrepair claims process can be daunting. You may also want to maintain a good relationship with your landlord, therefore, you may want to handle the repairs yourself. However, we do not recommend this; you may be entitled to thousands of pounds depending on the nature and extent of the damage. Our housing disrepair claims solicitors can reach out to your landlord on your behalf to show that disrepair claims can be established.

In order to establish a housing disrepair claim, you will need to prove that your landlord has failed to uphold their repair obligations by refusing to fix defects which they were aware of or ought to have been aware of within a reasonable time. It is, therefore, important that you notify your landlord of any disrepair issues in the home.

Reporting a Housing Disrepair Issue to Your Landlord

If there is a housing disrepair problem in your rented property, it is your duty to notify your landlord as soon as you discover it. You can do this via email, letter, text message or in-person (though we recommend keeping evidence of your correspondence). When you report, it is important that you allow your landlord a sufficient period of time to fix the problem.

The nature of the disrepair will determine how much time you provide for your landlord. For instance, if a significant water leak may require more urgent attention than a cracked wall. If your landlord fails to respond on time and refuses to cooperate, you may be able to make a claim for disrepair if a reasonable time has elapsed.

What Evidence Is Needed to Establish Disrepair Claims?

The following evidence will be key to making a successful claim against your landlord:

  • A copy of your tenancy agreement;
  • Proof of correspondences – letters, emails, or texts – between you and your landlord;
  • Pictures of the damage, with dates where possible;
  • Receipts of any replacements made as a result of the disrepair;
  • Medical reports indicating any health problems you suffered;
  • Expert statement.

This evidence will help your solicitor build a robust claim on your behalf.

How to Claim Compensation from Your Landlord

Get in touch with us today if you believe your landlord has acted negligently towards disrepair issues in your home. We work with the best housing disrepair solicitors who can provide the expert advice and support you need to give your case a great chance of success. Once we have established your case, you will discover how easy the claims process can be, even during the pandemic. Your landlord owes you a duty of care; in order to establish your claim and seek compensation on your behalf, we will show that:

  • The damage was avoidable Which means that your landlord would have been able to prevent the damage. It is your landlord’s responsibility to maintain your home’s installations, including the water, gas, electricity and heating fixtures, but they did not and this may be deemed negligence.
  • Your landlord was aware of the disrepair In some cases, your landlord may have known that the property was in a state of disrepair because they were either notified by the tenant or should have foreseen there was a need for maintenance and repairs. This means that when the disrepair began to put your life in danger, your landlord became guilty of negligence.

If your case falls into either of the above categories, you may be entitled to a housing disrepair claim and compensation for your suffering.

How Much Can I Claim for Disrepair?

Every housing disrepair claim is unique. Therefore, it is only normal that the compensation amount will depend on the nature of the case and the extent of the damage. For instance, the compensation awarded for damaged belongings will be different from compensation for pain and suffering. Other factors that can determine your compensation amount include the date you first issued notice to your landlord as well as the available evidence for your case.

You will generally be able to make claims for:

  • Damage to property Mould and damp can cause damage to your personal possessions, including clothes, TVs and computers. If your belongings have been damaged as a result of disrepair, you can make claims for the cost and receive compensation.
  • Personal injury Negligence on the part of your landlord can cause you injury or health problems. Some of the most common conditions due to housing disrepair include pneumonia, asthma and cold, as well as mental health problems like anxiety and depression.
  • Inconvenience Compensation claims for housing disrepair are not only designed for those who have suffered an injury. You can be awarded compensation if the disrepair has caused you inconveniences. For instance, if you have been unable to cook or make use of the bathroom.

No Win No Fee Housing Disrepair Claims

After establishing your housing disrepair claim, we will likely offer you a no win no fee housing disrepair service. Under this arrangement, we will not take any payment from you until the successful end of your case. If we are able to help you win, a success fee (0-25% of your compensation) will be deducted from your final compensation award. In the event that you do not win, you will not pay anything.

We do not charge you a fee for the service we offer you, and you do not pay us any fee at any point of our service to you. Call us on our housing disrepair helpline today for expert advice and to find out how our no win no fee service can help you make a successful claim against your negligent landlord.


How We Can Help

We understand how negatively an uninhabitable home can impact your life. In addition to your precious possessions, it can affect your physical and mental health. This is why our solicitors are readily available to provide the support you need to get through this difficult time. When you contact us, we will offer free, no-obligation advice to discuss the details of your case with you and get you started.

If you are concerned about protecting the relationship you have with your landlord, you are not alone. We will fight with you to ensure you receive the justice and compensation you deserve if your landlord’s negligence has caused you suffering. Contact us by calling our housing disrepair helpline today or fill our free claims assessment form and one of our reputable housing disrepair claims solicitors will guide you through the claims process and represent you in your quest for justice.

For FREE housing advice, call

Call Us 0800 999 7440


    Please check your details before you submit this form. By submitting your details you confirm your agreement to our privacy policy

    Office Address :

    Unit 2, Connect Business Village, 24 Derby Road, Liverpool, L5 9PR