Housing Disrepair Claim Valued - Housing Disrepair Claim

How is My Housing Disrepair Claim Valued?

Posted on: Mon Apr 5 | 9:47 AM by: housing

As a tenant in a rented property, you deserve to live in a home that is safe and fit for purpose. Unfortunately, some landlords fail to fulfill their responsibility towards their tenants, and this can have devastating consequences. If you have had to deal with a multitude of problems in your home – ranging from damp and leaks to cracks and faulty installations – it is important that you know how much your claim could be worth.


At housingdisrepairclaim.co.uk, we work with a panel of specialist >housing disrepair solicitors who speak with victims of disrepair on a one-to-one basis, ensuring full understanding of the client’s situation in order to help them navigate housing disrepair problems and seek the compensation they deserve. This article discusses all you need to know about calculating disrepair claims compensation, the type of damages you can claim and what you should do to ensure a successful claim.

start a claim

Examples of housing disrepair instances include:

  • Damp and Mould

Most housing disrepair cases are a result of failure to deal with damp and mould issues. Sadly, damp and mould are leading causes of health problems following housing disrepair issues, especially among children and seniors. If your landlord has refused to get rid of damp and mould in your rented property, do not hesitate to get in touch with our housing disrepair solicitors No Win No Fee to sue landlord for mold UK.

  • Pest Problems

Have the disrepair issues in your home forced you to accommodate unwelcome guests? No tenant should live with disease-causing pests; if your landlord has failed in their legal duty to maintain your property and keep pests away, you can make claim for disrepair. Even if you are a housing association tenant, you can make a claim for housing association disrepair.

  • Structural Problems

Structural defects can easily lead to other devastating disrepair problems. It is the responsibility of your landlord to maintain the structural integrity of the rental property; if they have refused to do so and you have suffered discomfort as a result, you can make disrepair claims.

  • Defective Installations

It is the responsibility of a landlord to ensure installations such as central heating systems are not only fixed, but in good state of repair.

  • Dodgy Door, Window, Fence and Gate

Doors, windows, fences and gates are key to your safety in the home. So, if your landlord has refused to fix defective doors, walls, windows and gate, they are compromising your safety and this can lead to other disrepair problems.

The compensation award owed to you will depend on the severity of damage. Some of the factors that can determine the value of your compensation award include:

Personal Injury

This would apply if you have suffered health problems as a result of failure on the part of your landlord to keep the property in a safe and livable condition. For instance, frayed carpeting can cause a tenant to trip over, mouldy walls can lead to allergies or worsen existing conditions like asthma, and a person’s weight can cause defective floorboards to give way.

Compensation for personal injury due to housing disrepair is awarded based on the severity of the impact on your health, as well as the duration of the illness or condition suffered. Personal injury compensation due to disrepair may also cover financial losses that are a direct result of the health problem. This may include lost earnings and medical expenses; for instance, if you fell down the stairs due to its poor state of repair and missed work as a result.

Damage to Personal Belongings

Have your belongings suffered damage as a result of the state of disrepair? Maybe a pipe burst has damaged your computer due to water damage? In any case, if your personal belongings have been damaged as a result of disrepair, or you have incurred extra expense, for example having to pay increased heating bills due to faulty windows, you will be awarded compensation for this loss.

Your compensation award will likely not be calculated as the replacement value for a damaged item, but a sum that reflects the expected life span of the item that was shortened. The compensation amount will also depend on the evidence you are able to provide for the damaged items; ensure you keep receipts of your personal belongings and take photographs of any defects.

General Inconveniences

If disrepair problems in a rental property has caused you inconveniences, you do not have to suffer in silence. For instance, if you have been unable to use the bathroom the way it should as a result of unsanitary drains or damp mould or your home was flooded and became unfit for purpose, you can make claims for how the discomfort has affected your inability to use the property.

How to Determine the Value of Claim for Inconvenience

The following formula is used to calculate inconvenience and discomfort during your tenancy:

Number of months spent in disrepair x the rental amount per month = inconvenience. For instance, if your rent per month is £500 and your landlord fixed the disrepair issues 12 months after you first notified them, minus the amount of time taken to repair the damage (could range between 4 to 8 weeks depending on the problem), this is what the formula would look like:

11 months x £500 = £5,500


To put this into perspective, if you are renting a property with 4 rooms and 2 rooms have suffered damage as a result of damp, this would be considered 50% inconvenience since half the rooms were affected. This means the amount payable will be £2,750. Please note that this is only a rough guide. The compensation amount awarded for housing disrepair depends on the unique facts of every case.

For FREE housing advice, call

Call Us 0800 999 7440

No Win No Fee Housing Disrepair Claims

We work with a panel of No Win No Fee housing solicitors who strongly believe in providing support for victims of housing disrepair; we believe that the issues leading to your housing disrepair claim were no fault of your own and that you should not incur out of pocket expenses in order to pursue a claim for the compensation you are entitled to. We also understand that pursuing a claim against your landlord can be challenging with concerns about potential repercussions.

It is, for this reason, we offer a No Win No Fee agreement to tenants who have suffered the impact of living under poor conditions in a rental property. Whether you are a resident of London or Manchester, our housing disrepair solicitors London No Win No Fee and solicitors for housing disrepair claims Manchester will guide you through the claims process to help you secure the compensation you deserve without paying a penny. Our No Win No Fee service offers peace of mind to those affected by housing disrepair, especially if they have limited finances.

If you have any questions about our No Win No Fee service and how our housing disrepair solicitors No Win No Fee work, do not hesitate to contact us. We are always happy to discuss the process for you to ensure you make the right decision. We know this is a stressful time for you; you can rest assured you will not have the extra stress of seeking funds for solicitor fees.

Why Choose Us?

Working with housing disrepair claim means working with a team of experienced heads in the legal industry. The panel of specialist solicitors we work with will provide answers to any questions you may have and, with our high success rate in similar cases, can guarantee you have the best chance of success with us.

If you want to begin a claim for housing disrepair, then give us a call on 0800 999 7440 for free, no obligation advice from our friendly solicitors. You can also get a free claim assessment on our website, and we will be with you every step of the way. Our panel of experienced housing disrepair claims solicitors will be happy to assist you with the information you need to make informed decisions throughout the process and help you secure the compensation you deserve.

What are my landlord’s responsibilities?

As a tenant living in a rental property, it is the responsibility of your landlord to keep the property in good condition and ensure repair and maintenance works are done to fix any damages. If they fail to do so, you are well within your rights to pursue housing disrepair claims.

What can I claim for in disrepair claims?

If you are considering making a claim for housing disrepair against a private landlord or local authority, you can make a compensation claim for ‘pain, suffering and loss of amenity’, damage to personal belongings such as your furnishings, clothing and other materials.

Is my landlord responsible for damp and mould?

Your landlord owes you a duty of care to ensure the rental property is free of damp and mould. Living with damp and mould can expose you to a number of health issues as a tenant; if your landlord has failed to carry out necessary repairs in a timely manner and damp has caused you allergies or other conditions as a result, you can make a claim for compensation.



    Please check your details before you submit this form. By submitting your details you confirm your agreement to our privacy policy

    Office Address :

    Unit 2, Connect Business Village, 24 Derby Road, Liverpool, L5 9PR