Compensation For Mould and Damp - Housing Disrepair Claim

How to Get Compensation for Disrepair and Poor Conditions

Posted on: Thu Aug 26 | 1:00 PM by: housing

Housing disrepair can cause you stress, inconvenience, and even ill-health. If your rented property is in a state of disrepair, you may be eligible to make a claim for disrepair against your landlord.


If you are living in a rented property, your landlord is required by law to carry out repairs to ensure the property is suitable for habitation. Your landlord should ensure that:

  • The structural integrity of the house is maintained;
  • The house is free from mould and damp;
  • Pipes, drains, and other sanitary fixtures like sinks, basins, and toilets, are fully functional;
  • Gas, water and electrical installations are working as they should;
  • The home is free from vermin or insect infestation;
  • The maintenance of the heating system.

Whether you are a tenant in a housing association, council or private property, your landlord has the same responsibilities. If any of the above is an issue in your rented property and your landlord has failed to carry out necessary repairs within a reasonable time after the issues have been reported, then you may be able to make claims for housing disrepair compensation.

If your landlord has failed to carry out his responsibility in your rented home and you think you might be eligible for a housing disrepair claim, our housing disrepair claims solicitors will be happy to discuss details of your case to see if you can make a claim.


What Should I Do If My Landlord Fails to Carry Out Repairs?

It is important that you notify your landlord about any issues in the property as soon as you notice it. Once you have reported the issue, allow them a reasonable amount of time to make the necessary repairs. ‘Reasonable amount of time’ will depend on the nature of the repair; for instance, a faulty broiler will require more urgent attention than leaky tap.

If your landlord fails to carry out the necessary repairs and this is affecting your health or causing damage to your belongings, do not hesitate to speak with your local authority (council); they will intervene on your behalf to ensure the landlord handles any issues with the property. If you pay someone to come to carry out the repair works that your landlord is responsible for, you may also be able to make a claim against your landlord for a refund.

If your landlord still fails to undertake necessary repairs after reporting the issue and allowing a reasonable amount of time, then you make seek the advice of legal experts. We work with a panel of specialist housing disrepair claims solicitors with experience in handling housing disrepair claims; they will provide the advice and support you need to make informed decisions to get your landlord fulfill his/her responsibilities towards you as their tenant. During a free and initial no-obligation consultation, we will also provide answers to any questions you might have.

How Much Notice Should I Give My Landlord?

It is important that you inform your landlord of the disrepair problem as soon as you discover it, otherwise, you will be unable to make a claim. You are required to inform your landlord of the disrepair via a letter, text message, email, or in-person (although we recommend that you keep evidence of correspondence). ‘Reasonable amount of time’ as stated above may be at least 21 days before you start a claim.

Keeping Records of Notice

One of the most challenging aspects of making a housing disrepair claim is proving that you notified your landlord of the defects. If it is a housing association disrepair, the housing association usually keeps records of any complaints you have issued as well as any repair works on your rented property, but these records may be incomplete and important parts may be missing.

It is important that tenants keep their own complaint records. If you reported the disrepair by telephone, keep a call log which includes the date and time of your call, the defect you are reporting, who you spoke with, and what you were told. If you contacted your landlord via text messages, then keep the messages.

It is easier to keep evidence of written complaints; so, if possible, make your complaints via a letter or email and ensure you keep copies of these complaints.

What Can I Claim for in Housing Disrepair Compensation?

If your landlord has failed to carry out necessary repairs in your rented property, there are a few things you might be able to claim compensation for:

  • Personal property

If your personal items have been damaged as a result of disrepair that your landlord has failed to fix on the rented property, then a claim for disrepair can help you replace those items.

  • FurnishingsIf your furniture and other related items have been damaged or destroyed as a result of disrepair such as a water leak, then you may be able to make a housing disrepair compensation claim.
  • Clothing
    If your clothing, bedding, curtains and other materials have been damaged as a result of housing disrepair that your landlord has failed to fix, then you may be entitled to compensation.
  • Property Damage If mould and damp have damaged your property, then you may be able to sue landlord for mold UK for compensation for mould and damp. You may also be entitled to compensation if repair work carried out by your landlord has resulted in damage to your property.

The compensation amount you are awarded will depend on the extent of damages – to your property and health – caused by the housing disrepair problem. Keep in mind, however, that you will be required to prove that there is a direct link between your health issues and the disrepair. If your health issues have led to appointments with a healthcare professional, keep notes of the appointment dates as well as any documents that support your claim.


What Can I Do If Damp and Moulds Cause Health Problems?

If you have developed asthma, allergy, or any other medical condition, or they got worse as a result of the presence of damp or moulds in your home, then you may be entitled to housing disrepair compensation.

For damp, it would be ideal to confirm the type and cause; if it is due to your landlord’s failure to fix disrepair in the home, then you may be able to make a claim. In this case, if you are a local council tenant, you may contact the environmental health department and request for the inspection of the property. If they believe that the extent of damage in the home is serious enough, then they will serve your landlord notice to carry out necessary repairs in the home.

For moulds, they can produce irritants and substances that can cause further problems for those with health issues. Those who are most at risk of suffering health issues due to mould include babies, young children, the elderly, and those with respiratory issues like asthma, skin conditions like eczema, or those with a weak immune system.

As a tenant, you are well within your rights to ask your landlord to promptly make repairs in order to prevent any harm to you and your family. For successful disrepair claims by tenants, it is important that you keep relevant paperwork, including photographs of damp and mould patches, as well as receipts of items you have replaced.

No Win No Fee Housing Disrepair Claims?

We believe that you should not incur any out-of-pocket expenses if housing disrepair issues have caused you health problems or property damage. We understand that the housing disrepair claims process can feel daunting; this is why we strive to make it as hassle-free as possible by offering to work with you on a No Win No Fee basis if we believe that the housing disrepair issue is no fault of your own.

Under this arrangement, you will not have to pay any upfront fees until the conclusion of the claims process; if the claim is successful, a success fee (0-25% of your compensation) will be deducted from your final compensation award; if it is not, you will not have to pay anything.

A No Win No Fee agreement offers peace of mind knowing that you do not have to worry about funding the claim from your pocket. If you have any questions as regards this agreement, our housing disrepair No Win No Fee can help. No matter the extent of damage your rented home has suffered, you can trust our No Win No Fee solicitors property damage to provide the support you need to successfully navigate the claims process.

For FREE housing advice, call

Call Us 0800 999 7440

Why Choose Us?

At, we work with a panel of friendly solicitors with experience in dealing with different kinds of housing disrepair claims. If you have been a victim of housing disrepair, we will walk you through on how to claim compensation from your landlord and provide the answers you need to take on the claim with confidence.

Our aim is to secure the maximum compensation you deserve to help you move on with life as easily as possible. Call our housing disrepair helpline today on 0800 999 7440 to speak with one of our friendly solicitors.

Am I entitled to a claim for disrepair?

A housing disrepair problem can cause you stress, inconvenience, damage to your belongings and even ill-health. If this happens, you may be entitled to a claim for disrepair against your landlord, even if you are no longer a tenant in the rented property.

How much compensation can I expect for housing disrepair?

The compensation amount that you will be awarded will depend on the extent of damage caused by the disrepair. If the rented property is completely uninhabitable, for instance, you will receive 100% compensation.

How do I make a housing disrepair claim?

Experienced housing disrepair solicitors can help you make a claim against your landlord to secure the compensation you deserve. Call us on 0800 999 7440 to discuss how you can make a claim with one of our friendly solicitors.


    Please check your details before you submit this form. By submitting your details you confirm your agreement to our privacy policy

    Disrepair claims

    Office Address :

    Unit 2, Connect Business Village, 24 Derby Road, Liverpool, L5 9PR